NEWTON, N.C. – The King University women's cross country team opened their season at the Lenoir-Rhyne Invitational 5K on Friday evening against fellow regional opponents. The Tornado are off to a great start as they recorded the first and second place times and finished second place overall.
FINAL SCORE: King 2nd/4 overall.
LOCATION: Southside Park, Newton, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Samantha Schreiber grabbed a first place finish with a time of 20:30.35.
- Hannah Sanford followed not far behind with a second place time of 20:48.39.
- Freshman Kayce Byrnside completed her first collegiate event in 22:52.67 landing a 14th place finish.
- Maggie Edwards came in next at 22:36.40 to finish ninth.
- Abbi Pierce finished 23rd, completing the race in 24:32.62.
- King finished second overall in the event earning 49 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Schreiber earns the first place finish in her first collegiate event.
FOR THE FOES
- Lenoir-Rhyne University tallied four top 10 finishes beating out the Tornado by 10 points and taking first place in the event.
- Tusculum College and Lees-McRae College followed in the rankings with scores of 54 and 74.
- King travels next to Blacksburg, Va. Friday, September 18 to participate in the Virginia Tech Alumni Invite.