BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's wrestling team wrestled at home for the first time this season, and the Tornado came away with a pair of victories. Marina Doi and Aleeah Gould keyed a comeback for the fifth-ranked Tornado past eighth-ranked Emmanuel College 29-17. King then topped 20th-ranked Ferrum College 48-1.
FINAL SCORE: #5 King 29, #8 Emmanuel 17; #5 King 48, #20 Ferrum 1
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-1; Emmanuel 7-2; Ferrum 2-7
HOW IT HAPPENED - EMMANUEL
- Second-ranked Regina Doi got King started with a 10-0 technical fall victory over Charliette Hammer at 101 pounds.
- However, the Lions took a 5-4 lead with a pin at 109 pounds before Marina Doi got the Tornado going again at 116 pounds.
- Top-ranked Marina Doi started her match against seventh-ranked Victoria Gutierrez with a four-point takedown and ended the 11-0 technical fall with another four-point takedown and a two-point takedown.
- At 123 pounds, fifth-ranked Aleeah Gould pinned Trinity Duarte in 4:20, stretching the King lead to 13-5.
- Allison Petix, who is ranked sixth trailed fifth-ranked Abigail Nette 5-4 late in the second period before getting a takedown with 16 seconds remaining to take the lead. She added another takedown for the 8-5 victory.
- Seventh-ranked Nicole Joseph made it a 20-12 Tornado lead with a 12-1 technical fall victory over Sadie Tackett.
- The Lions took wins at 143 pounds and 170 pounds, but Jessi Kee earned a 13-0 technical fall win over Felicity Bryant at 155 pounds.
- Victoria Espinoza capped the 29-17 victory for the Tornado with a 3:32 pin of Briana Jordan.
HOW IT HAPPENED - FERRUM
- The Tornado quickly opened up a 25-0 lead over Ferrum behind three forfeits and a pair of pins.
- Jordan Daniels pinned Aiden Couglin in 3:53 at 109 pounds and Petix came up with a 1:39 pin of Cynthia Aldama at 130 pounds.
- Joseph defeated Amanda Nelson 13-3 on a technical fall at 136 pounds.
- Following a forfeit and a 10-0 Kee technical fall victory over Taylor Kleemoff at 155 pounds, the Tornado capped the dual with a pair of pins.
- Keely Sage pinned Brenda Cancino-Yalez in 5:57 and Espinoza gave King the 48-1 victory with a 0:16 pin of Leah Deickman.
- King returns to action on Friday and Saturday at the Missouri Valley Open.