LAS VEGAS, Nev. – On the second day of the U.S World Team Trials, the King University women's wrestling team had three current wrestlers and two alums competing. Marina Doi took fourth and Regina Doi finished fifth at 48 kilograms while alum Sarah Hildebrandt finished second at 55 kilograms.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marina Doi fell to eventual champion Victoria Anthony in the semifinals while Regina Doi fell to finalist Cody Pfau in the quarterfinals, sending both to the consolation bracket.
- Regina Doi won her first bout on a 10-0 technical fall before falling to Marina Doi 6-0 in the consolation semifinals. Marina Doi then fell to Erin Golston, giving her fourth place.
- Regina Doi turned around and took a 10-0 technical fall victory over Katlyin Pizzo to take fifth place.
- Also at 48 kilograms, Aleeah Gould fell to Anthony in her first bout, dropping her to the consolation bracket.
- Gould then dropped a bout to Pizzo in the consolation bracket, ending her tournament.
- Alum and current assistant coach Julia Salata finished sixth at 75 kilograms. She topped Nadine Fiege 19-13 in the opening bout before dropping a tight 8-7 decision to eventual champion Victoria Francis 8-7.
- Salata then dropped a pair of matches in the consolation bracket to take sixth.
- Hildebrandt took a runner-up finishe with a pair of wins to reach the finals of the championship bracket. However, she fell to Becka Leathers 2-0 in the bout, but both wrestlers advanced to the best-of-three championship series.
- In the finals, Leathers took a pair of wins to win the title and give Hildebrandt a runner-up finish.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
55 kg – Sarah Hildebrandt 2-3
75 kg – Julia Salata 1-3