LAS VEGAS, Nev. – On the first day of the U.S. World Team trials, the King University women's wrestling team had one current team member and one alum a spot on the U.S. World Team that will compete in Paris later this year. Haley Augello earned a spot at 53 kilograms and alum Alli Ragan earned a spot on her fifth U.S. World Team, this one coming at 60 kilograms.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Augello started her day with a pair of technical fall victories, 10-0 and 12-2 to reach the championship bracket title bout. In that bout she defeated Whitney Conder to reach the best-of-three finals where she faced Conder.
- Augello took the first two bouts, 8-7 and 5-4 earn her spot on the U.S. World Team.
- Ragan had a bye into the best-of-three final where she took on Francesca Giorgio. Ragan took the first two bouts on technical falls, 11-0 and 10-0 to earn her spot on the team.
- Nicole Joseph reached the final of the championship bracket at 60 pounds before falling to eventual finals runner-up Giorgio 3-0.
- Joseph started her day with a 10-0 technical fall over Chloe Spencer before topping Carla Ponce 6-5 in the semifinals.
- At 63 kilograms, Forrest Molinari dropped her first bout to eventual champion, Mallory Velte, 6-2. She then earned a win before falling in the consolation semifinals.
- King will have three current wrestlers and two alums competing on Saturday at the U.S. World Team Trials.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
53 kg – Haley Augello 5-0
60 kg – Nicole Joseph 2-1; Alli Ragan 2-0
63 kg – Forrest Molinari 1-2