LEBANON, Ill. – The top ranked King University women's wrestling team returned to the mat at the Bearcat Open on Saturday. The Tornado were led by Gabby Garcia who took a runner-up finish at 136 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Garcia started her day with a pair of pins over Kaylynn Hixenbaugh of Southwestern Oregon CC and Hailey Meyers of MacMurray College.
- She then took a decision over Cheyenne Youngblood of Missouri Baptist University before defeating Abigail Nette of Emmanuel College 6-2 in the semifinals.
- In the finals she faced Koral Sugiyama of Campbellsville University in a high scoring bout, but Sugiyama took the 12-12 decision on criteria.
- At 109 pounds, Aleeah Gould finished third after reaching the quarterfinals. Gould earned a pin of McKendree University's Zamantha Mulder in 1:32.
- After falling in the quarterfinals, Gould rolled off four straight victories in the consolation bracket, including a 6-4 decision over Iesha Washington of Emmanuel to take third place.
- After falling in the quarterfinals, Cassidy Ferrell won back-to-back matches to reach the third place bout at 101 pounds.
- Ferrell earned a 10-0 technical fall win over Amber Garriga of Life University before topping Genae Sampract 6-6 in the consolation semifinal. However, she fell to McKendree's Coellet Rangel 7-0, giving her a fourth place finish.
- Both Nicole Joseph and Alexis Bleau finished fifth at 130 and 155 pounds, respectively. Joseph opened her day with a 10-0 technical fall over Samantha Barrientos of McKendree and reached the semifinals with a 9-4 decision over Lyon College's Miyuki Pugrad.
- However, she dropped back-to-back matches before defeating Menlo College's Melanie Cordero 8-2 to take fifth.
- Bleau dropped her first match, but answered with four straight wins, including three pins. Following a defeat in the consolation semifinals, Bleau earned a 10-2 decision over Shamera McTier, taking fifth place.
- Select Tornado will be in action on February 2-3 at the Dave Schultz International in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- King goes for their fourth straight Women's Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) national championship February 9-11 at Oklahoma City University in Oklahoma City, Okla.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Cassidy Ferrell 3-2, 4th
109 – Aleeah Gould 5-1, 3rd
130 – Nicole Joseph 3-2, 5th
136 – Gabby Garcia 4-1, 2nd
155 – Alexis Bleau 5-2, 5th