BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's wrestling team followed their fourth straight National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) National Duals championship with a solid showing at the Tornado Open on Sunday. King had five individuals take home titles an all 10 wrestlers that competed place.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marina Doi earned a first place finish with a pair of technical fall victories at 101 pounds, first defeating Rebecca Forsyth of the University of the Cumberlands 11-0 and Naomi Chavez of Emmanuel College 11-0. She was then named co-champion along with Regina Doi.
- Regina Doi earned a pair of wins, the first by 10-0 technical fall over Emmanuel's Allouette Gonzalez. The Then came back with a pair of takedowns to defeat Sarah Allen of Cumberlands 4-4 to reach the final.
- Breonnah Neal won all three of her matches at 109 pounds to take the title. She defeated Jessica Bautista of Emmanuel on a 10-0 technical fall before pinning Emmanuels Iesha Washington in 56 seconds. Neal took the title with a 10-0 technical fall over Charlotte Fowler of Campbellsville Unviersity.
- At 123 pounds, Hanna Grisewood won both of her matches, starting with a 10-0 technical fall over Kassidy Block of Adrian College. Grisewood then pinned Cumberlands' Kellyann Jimenez in 1:34 to take the championship.
- Nicole Joseph won the title at 130 pounds with a pair of victories, starting with a 14-5 decision over Amanda Nelson of Ferrum College. She then took an 11-0 technical fall win over Charline Hagemaster of Emmanuel in the finals.
- Forrest Molinari earned a title at 170 pounds, taking both of her matches by pin. She started with a 1:22 pin of Kyvia Beasley of Cumberlands and took the championship with a pin of Campbellsville's Kate Hill in 36 seconds.
- Also at 101 pounds, Cassidy Ferrell took a sixth place finish, going 2-3 on the day.
- Aleeah Gould finished fifth at 109 pounds, taking a pair of decisions on the day.
- At 155 pounds, Alexis Bleau finished fourth with a pair of wins for the Tornado.
- Wrestling unattached at 116 pounds, Daisy Santos reached the finals with a pair of technical fall victories. However, she fell to defending WCWA national champion Cody Pfau of Emmanuel in the finals, giving Santos a runner-up finish.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
116 – Daisy Santos (unattached) 2-1, 2nd
123 – Hanna Grisewood 2-0, 1st
130 – Nicole Joseph 2-0, 1st
155 – Alexis Bleau 2-2, 4th
170 – Forrest Molinari 2-0, 1st
- King will be in action again on Friday when the host Emmanuel College in a dual that is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. Friday will also be senior day.