WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. – For the third time in as many years, the King University women's wrestling team was crowned Patriot Duals champions. The Tornado earned three impressive wins, including a 26-18 victory over top ranked Simon Fraser University in the championship dual.
FINAL SCORE: #2 King 32, #5 Lindenwood University 10; #2 King 35, #4 Campbellsville University 10; #2 King 26, #1 Simon Fraser University 18
LOCATION: Williamsburg, Ky.
RECORDS: King 8-0
HOW IT HAPPENED - #5 LINDENWOOD
- Cassidy Ferrell got King off to a great start, earning a 10-0 technical fall win at 101 pounds to give King the early 4-0 advantage.
- Following a decision, Daisy Santos earned a win by fall in 2:18 at 116 pounds to give King a 12-1 lead.
- Back-to-back wins by fall by Nicole Joseph at 130 pounds and Gabby Garcia at 136 pounds gave King a 22-1 advantage.
- Jessi Kee took a 10-0 technical fall victory at 143 pounds before Forrest Molinari gave King a 31-1 lead with a pin in 45 seconds at 155.
- Lindenwood took victories in the final two weight classes, one by forfeit, but the Tornado took the dual 32-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED - #4 CAMPBELLSVILLE
- A forfeit at 101 pounds put King ahead and Breonnah Neal followed that with a 10-0 technical fall victory at 109 pounds, giving King a 9-0 lead.
- Leading 12-6, King rolled of three straight pins, starting with a 4:30 pin by Joseph at 130 pounds. Garcia followed with a pin in 22 seconds at 136 pounds and Kee made it a 27-6 King lead with a fall in 1:20 at 143 pounds.
- Kenya Spencer capped the 35-12 victory with a win by fall in 1:30 at 191 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED - #1 SIMON FRASER
- Marina Doi put King ahead with a pin in 2:15 at 101 pounds and Neal earned a 12-2 technical fall victory at 109 pounds to give King the early 9-1 lead.
- The Clan answered with a pair of victories at 116 and 123 pounds to take a 10-9 lead.
- However, Haley Augello answered for the Tornado at 130 pounds, taking a 10-0 technical fall victory, giving the lead back to King at 13-10.
- Garcia then took a 3-0 decision at 136 pounds before Simon Fraser took a decision at 143 pounds, cutting their deficit to 17-13.
- Kee stretched the King lead to 21-13 with a 10-0 technical fall win at 155 pounds and Molinari clinched the victory, taking a win by forfeit at 170 pounds.
- The Clan won the final match, but the Tornado took the dual 26-18 for the championship.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Simon Fraser was ranked No. 1 in the dual rankings and the Tornado were ranked second.
- King wins their third straight Patriot Duals title, going 8-0 on the weekend.
- King will be in action at the Missouri Valley Open on November 18-19 in Marshall, Mo.