IRVING, Texas – Members of the King University women's wrestling team competed at the Body Bar Nationals on Sunday, and four Tornado placed. Marina Doi and Jessi Kee led the way as Doi took a title and Kee finished runner-up.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Doi started her day at 44 killograms with a win by technical fall over Esthela Trevino and then by fall in 6:00 over Genae Sampract to reach the championship best-of-three final. There, Doi defeated Naomi Chavez in two matches, the first a 10-0 technical fall and the second on a fall in 53 seconds, taking the title.
- At 67 kilograms, Kee reached the finals with three straight wins, starting with a win by fall in 1:47 over Payton Rigert. She then took back-to-back 10-0 technical fall wins over Kayla Marano and Margaret Douma. However, in the best-of-three final, she dropped a pair of matches to Alexis Porter, giving her a runner-up finish.
- Hannah Jewell finished fifth at 63 kilograms, taking three straight wins before falling in the semifinals. She earned a 10-0 technical fall win over Machaela Foley and then a 12-1 technical fall win over Brooke Holt. She topped Koral Sugiyama 17-13 before falling to eventual champion Maya Nelson in the semifinals.
- Jewell then dropped an 18-15 decision to third place finisher Katerina Lobsinger before topping Steffanie Hampton on a 12-2 technical fall to give her a fifth place finish.
- At 48 kilograms, Regina Doi won her first match on a 6-0 decision to reach the semifinals. However, she then dropped three straight matches, the final two by injury default, giving her a sixth place finish.
- Ricki Liang also competed for the Tornado, winning her first match via technical fall, 10-0. However, she then fell to Jathiya Isaac before taking back-to-back wins, starting with a 10-0 technical fall win over Vanessa Contreras. Liang then defeated Kayla Mesar on criteria 4-4 before falling to Theresa Rankin to end her day.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
44 kilograms – Marina Doi 4-0, 1st
48 kilograms – Regina Doi 1-3, 6th
55 kilograms – Ricki Liang 3-2
63 kilograms – Hannah Jewell 4-2, 5th
67 kilograms – Jessi Kee 3-2, 2nd