BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team took on the conference leading Barton College on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado played well, but the Bulldogs offense was strong and they defeated King in three straight sets. Becca Huddleston led the Tornado with 14 kills.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-23)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 11-14, 6-8 Conference Carolinas; Barton 20-7, 13-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense started out strong for the second straight game as they hit .222 behind four kills each from Huddleston and Kayley Holtzclaw in the first set.
- Amy Serowski anchored the defense as she recorded four digs during the set.
- King never led and ended up falling 25-18 in the first set.
- In the second set, Huddleston recorded five of her team high 14 kills to lead the Tornado offense once again.
- Serowski posted eight digs for the Tornado defense. This mark was the highest number of digs per set posted in the match from both teams.
- King took a 13-12 lead towards the middle of the set for their first lead in the entire match, but could not hold off the Bulldogs as they powered back to take the second set 25-18. The Tornado hitting percentage during the set was -.024.
- Holtzclaw and Huddleston started the third set off with back-to-back kills to give the Tornado a 2-0 lead. Huddleston posted five kills and seven digs during the third set to lead King.
- Sydney Pigage and Serowski led the Tornado defense as they both recorded seven digs during the set.
- Despite a strong start, King could not hold off Barton and fell in the final set 25-23. The Bulldogs took the match 3-0.
- Huddleston registered a double-double with 14 kills and 11 digs.
- Anderson posted 28 assists and six digs for the Tornado.
- Serowski recorded 19 digs for King and Pigage registered 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kaytlin Elkins recorded a double-double and led the Bulldogs with 16 kills and 13 digs.
- Angelica Acevedo also posted a double-double with 32 assists and 14 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX
- Huddleston recorded a double-double for the second straight game to give her nine on the season.
- King begins postseason play as they head to Southern Wesleyan University on Tuesday night for a quarterfinals matchup. The match begins at 6:30 pm.
- Barton hosts Erskine College on Tuesday night in a Conference Carolinas quarterfinals matchup.