BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball fell at Lees-McRae College on Tuesday night. The Tornado struggled offensively as the Bobcats took the 3-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 3, King 0 (25-13, 26-24, 26-24)
LOCATON: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-12, 4-6 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 5-15, 2-8 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado offense got off to a slow start, and the Bobcats took advantage as they opened up an 11-7 lead and forced a King timeout.
- Lees-McRae continued to pull away, taking the opening set 25-13.
- The second set was tighter as the Tornado were led by six kills from Becca Huddleston and four from Kayley Holtzclaw.
- However, the Bobcats pulled away in the middle of the set, using a 3-0 run to take a 16-12 lead and force a Tornado timeout.
- King came back behind a 5-1 run, including three straight that evened the score at 17-17.
- The Tornado led 23-22 before the Bobcats called timeout and rolled off three straight points.
- Following a kill from Holtzclaw to get the Tornado back on the board, Lees-McRae scored the final point to take the set 26-24.
- The middle of the set was the turning point again for the Tornado in the third set as the Bobcats opened a 12-7 lead behind four straight points.
- Lees-McRae held the lead until the end when King went on a 6-1 run, including holding off three match points to even the set at 24-24.
- However, the Bobcats scored the final two points, taking the set 26-24 and the match 3-0.
- Huddleston led King with 12 kills to go along with seven digs.
- Holtzclaw followed with seven kills, four digs and two blocks.
- Sophie Badgett handed out 25 assists and added nine digs.
- Amy Serowski led the defense with 14 digs while Sydney Pigage followed with 13 and Rebekah Hill added 11.
FOR THE FOES
- Elissa Small led the way with five kills while four others accounted for four kills each.
- Courtney Weathersby handed out 17 assists and added 12 digs.
- Kaci Thornton and Madison Martin accounted for 10 digs apiece.
- King travels to take on Converse College on Friday night. First serve from Spartanburg, S.C. is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae travels to take on Limestone College on Friday night.