BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's team won their second straight match, using their serve to sweep Concord University. The Tornado service attack was led by Sydney Pigage, and Cathy Scaniffe led one of the best offensive outputs this season for the Tornado.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Concord 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-16)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 8-9, Concord 9-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Carico came up with a kill in the first set, bringing Pigage to the service line. She served up four aces in five points for the Tornado.
- When it was all said and done, King scored six straight points, opening up a 13-5 lead over the Mountain Lions.
- The Tornado took the set 25-16 following kills from Abby Anderson and Scaniffe.
- King again used a run in the middle of the second set to gain control, this time with Becca Huddleston at the service line.
- Huddleston started the 5-0 run with a kill and service ace before three kills gave King a 14-7 advantage.
- The Mountain Lions tried to make run, but King held it off to take a 2-0 lead with the 25-18 victory.
- Concord opened up a 6-3 lead in the first set, but Huddleston started a 7-0 run before Concord got back on the board.
- Following that Mountain Lion point, King rolled off four more straight points, capped by a block from Carico and Victoria Gause that gave King a 14-7 lead.
- The Tornado later scored six of the final seven points, the last two on kills from Huddleston and Kayely Holtzclaw, taking the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
- Scaniffe led the offense with 13 kills and .407 attack percentage. She also posted five digs.
- Huddleston followed with seven kills, 10 digs and four service aces.
- Remi Thele chipped in with seven kills for the Tornado offense.
- Pigage led King with five service aces to go along with eight digs while Amy Serowski added seven digs.
- Anderson handed out 34 assists and added five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Brooke Heck posted six kills to lead Concord while Casey Mandeville handed out 14 assists.
- Lindsey Maddox led the defense with eight digs whle Alexi Pranckus and Jenna Mounts chipped in with seven digs apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King posted double digit service aces for the eighth time this season and second consecutive match.
- Pigage set a career-high with five service aces.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host Lees-McRae College at 2:00 p.m. in the Student Center Complex.
- Concord hosts Notre Dame College on Friday night.