HARROGATE, Tenn. – Playing their first match of the day, the King University women's volleyball team recorded their first victory of the season against Mars Hill University on Saturday afternoon. The match was close the entire way, but a strong team performance prevailed the Tornado past Mars Hill 3-2.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mars Hill 2 (18-25, 25-19, 26-28, 29-27, 15-12)
LOCATION: Mary Mars Gymnasium; Harrogate, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-2; Mars Hill 1-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King used a Tristyn Lozano kill to cap off a 4-1 run early in the first set that tied the set at 8-8.
- King brought the score to 19-17 late in the set, but could not get any closer as the Mars Hill offense scored four straight points late to win the set 25-18.
- The Tornado went back and forth for most of the second set with the Lions as the set was tied 16-16.
- However, seven straight strong serves by Sydney Pigage helped the Tornado to go on a 9-1 run to close the set and give them a 25-19 victory in the second set.
- In the third set, King started off slow going down 6-1 early, but multiple kills by Becca Huddleston, Cathy Scaniffe, and Lozano enabled the Tornado to tie the set at 12-12.
- Late in the set, the Tornado went on a 7-2 run to take the lead 26-25. Emma Carico recorded two kills to help fuel the run.
- However, the Lions scored three straight points to take the third set 28-26.
- A 5-1 run by King in the fourth set gave the Tornado a 15-11 lead.
- Back-and-forth play between the teams ended with King finishing the match on a 3-0 run to take the forth set 29-27.
- The fifth set was close just like the other four, but a 11-11 tie was broke by a Lozano kill.
- From there, the Tornado closed the set on a 4-1 run to take the set and the match.
- Huddleston led King with 19 kills while Scaniffe followed with 17.
- Lozano added 12 kills and Carico chipped in with 11 terminations.
- Abby Anderson recorded her second double-double of the season with 55 assists and 19 digs.
- Amy Serowski led the Tornado defense with 35 digs.
- On the defensive side, Pigage and Rebekah Hill accounted for 14 digs apiece.
FOR THE FOES
- Sally Anne Johnson led the way for Mars Hill with 11 kills followed by Rebecca Butler and Maddie Spurgeon added 7 kills each.
- Butler led the defense with 30 digs for Mars Hills and Sarah Pasour recorded 24 assists for the Lions.
- Lauren Hochstetler added 16 digs and Elizabeth Kaeser chipped in with 10.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the victory, Dave Ulrich recorded his first win as the head coach leading the King women's volleyball program.
- Anderson set two career-highs for the Tornado in this one as she recorded a career high 55 assists, her first match with at least 50 helpers to along with a career-high 19 digs.
- Career-highs were also set by Serowski with 35 digs, Carico with 11 kills, and Gause with seven kills.
- Huddleston posted her second double-double of the season through three matches. Last season she posted 12 double-doubles.
- King faces Lee University at 7:00 p.m. to close tournament play at Lincoln Memorial University.
- Mars Hill is home against Lincoln Memorial on Thursday.