CENTRAL, S.C. – In what has become a common occurrence, the King University women's volleyball team has advanced to the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship semifinals. However, this year the third seed out of the north division, the Tornado went on the road and defeated south division second seed Southern Wesleyan University 3-0 in the quarterfinals on Tuesday evening.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Southern Wesleyan 0 (25-20, 25-19, 25-19)
LOCATION: Tysinger Gymnasium; Central, S.C.
RECORDS: King 13-14, Southern Wesleyan 14-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 13-11 in the first set, Ashton Beckner sparked a 4-0 Tornado run with a kill. Cathy Scaniffe followed with an ace before Beckner and Becca Huddleston capped the spurt with consecutive kills.
- Huddleston started another 4-0 from the Tornado, this one was capped by a Haley Roe ace, giving king a 22-17 advantage.
- Back-to-back kills from Scaniffe and Tristyn Lozano gave King the first set 25-20.
- Huddleston and Scaniffe gave King an early 6-3 lead with a 3-0 run in the second set. Scaniffe had a kill and an ace while Huddleston posted a kill.
- Following a Warrior point, King rolled off five straight points, taking an 11-4 lead.
- The advantage grew to 13-5 following a block from Lozano, Jenna Sturgeon and Huddleston before Southern Wesleyan tried to work their way back.
- King held off every Warrior attempt before Scaniffe gave King a chance at set point with a kill. A Warrior miscue gave King the set 25-19 to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Sturgeon put King on top with a kill to open the third set and Sydney Pigage made it a 5-1 advantage with a kill.
- Beckner later posted a pair of kills, giving King a 15-11 advantage, and the Tornado stretched the lead to 20-13.
- Beckner gave King a chance at match point with her 12th kill of the match, and Scaniffe gave King the 25-19 victory with another kill, giving the match to the Tornado.
- Beckner, a senior continued her stellar play of late, posting 12 kills against one error for an attack percentage of .647.
- Huddleston posted a double-double with a team-high 13 kills to go along with 11 digs.
- Scaniffe chipped in with nine kills.
- Roe handed out 36 assists and added seven digs.
- Amy Serowski paced the defense with 14 digs and Pigage added nine.
FOR THE FOES
- Sarah Hughey led the Warriors with 10 kills and Paige O'Connor chipped in with nine kills.
- Annika Jones handed out 23 assists and added six digs.
- Milicia Stamenic led the defense with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Beckner set a career-high with an attack percentage of .647. She has hit better than .400 and had at least 10 kills in five her last six matches.
- The double-double for Huddleston marks her 12th of the season.
- With the win, King advances to the semifinals of the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship for the fourth straight season and five times in six seasons since joining Conference Carolinas.
- King now faces Barton College on Saturday in the semifinals of the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship. First serve from Wilson, N.C. is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Barton won both matches against the Tornado this season, 3-2 in Bristol and 3-1 in Wilson.