DUE WEST, S.C. – The King University women's volleyball team had a chance to host a Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship quarterfinal with a win in the regular season finale on Saturday. However, the Tornado had to square off with defending league champion Erskine College, and the Fly Fleet took the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Erskine 3, King 0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-16)
LOCATION: Belk Arena, Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 12-14, 11-5 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 17-9, 14-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine started on a roll in the first set, opening up a 7-1 lead in the early going.
- Every time the Tornado tried to get a comeback going, Erskine had an answer as they took the set 25-21.
- The Flying Fleet jumped ahead early in the second set, scoring four of the first five points.
- The lead swelled to 16-7 before King tried to work their way back. The Tornado scored a few points, but it wasn't enough as the Flying Fleet took the set 25-17.
- King took a 6-5 lead following a 4-0 run in the third set, but the Flying Fleet answered to regain the lead.
- The Flying Fleet held a slight advantage throughout the set before closing the set on an 8-1, taking the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
- Jenna Sturgeon led the way for King with eight kills and hit .429.
- Ashton Beckner chipped in with six kills.
- Haley Roe handed out 28 assists to go along with eight digs.
- On the defensive side, Sydney Pigage led the way with 13 digs and Amy Serowski added 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Payton Duncan recorded 13 kills and Marissa Mayfield followed with 10 kills.
- Kristen Dodge posted a double-double with 35 assists and 12 digs.
- Kendall Kirk posted a match-high 23 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King finished third in the north division and with a league mark of 11-5.
- King will travel to south division second seed Southern Wesleyan University in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship. First serve from Central, S.C. is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday.