MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team bounced back from a defeat on Friday night to take a 3-0 victory at the University of Mount Olive. Ashton Beckner continued her hot play of late, leading the Tornado with 13 kills.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (28-26, 25-16, 25-20)
LOCATION: Kornegay Arena; Mount Olive, N.C.
RECORDS: King 11-13, 10-4 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 10-16, 5-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight, and Mount Olive used a 4-0 run to break a tie and take an 18-14 lead.
- The Trojans held the advantage and led 22-18 before Beckner sparked a 6-0 Tornado run.
- Haley Roe added a kill in the spurt and Beckner capped the run with back-to-back kills, giving her four kills on the spurt.
- The teams then went back-and-forth until the Tornado rolled off three straight points to take the set 28-26. Becca Huddleston recorded consecutive kills and Roe ended the frame with an ace.
- King gained separation in the second set with another 6-0 run to take a 14-7 advantage. Amy Serowski had a pair of aces on the spurt and Cathy Scaniffe ended the run with a kill.
- The Tornado held their lead there, and Huddleston gave King the 25-16 victory with one of her 10 kills in the match.
- King jumped ahead early in the third set, scoring four straight points to open up a 6-2 lead.
- The advantage stayed there throughout the set, before King scored three straight points to close the set. Beckner started the run with a kill, Sydney Pigage followed with an ace and Scaniffe gave King the 25-20 victory with another kill.
- Beckner paced the offense with 13 kills, hitting .440 with two errors on 25 attempts in the contest.
- Scaniffe followed with 12 kills and Huddleston chipped in with 10 kills. Huddleston added 14 digs for the double-double.
- Roe handed out a match-high 37 assists to go along with five digs.
- Serowski led the defense with 20 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Natalie Perez and Mackenzi Call led Mount Olive with eight kills each.
- Kamber Skeen handed out 28 assists and Britni Johnson led the team with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Huddleston marks her 11th of the season.
- King returns to action on Friday when they travel to Emmanuel College. First serve from Franklin Springs, Ga., is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive travels to North Greenville University on Friday.