WILSON, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team had a chance to avenge a Conference Carolinas defeat earlier in the season on Friday night when they traveled to take on Barton College. However, the Bulldogs took the first set, and then the final two frames to take the 3-1 win to stay on top of the Conference Carolinas North Division standings.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 1 (25-22, 18-25, 25-17, 25-21)
LOCATION: Wilson Gym; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 10-13, 9-4 Conference Carolinas; Barton 16-7, 9-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Barton used a 5-0 run early in the first set to turn a deficit into a 7-3 advantage.
- The Bulldogs held their lead there, and later used a 6-0 run to extend their lead to 21-13.
- King tried to comeback, scoring five straight points and nine of 13 points, but it wasn't enough as the Bulldogs took the set 25-22.
- The Tornado went on a 5-0 run early in the second set, capped by a pair of Amy Serowski aces to give King an 8-3 lead.
- Ashton Beckner later sparked a 6-0 Tornado run with a pair of kills. Later on the spurt, she added two more kills before Sydney Pigage gave King a 21-12 lead with an ace.
- Barton tried to get back into the set, pulling to within 23-18, but Becca Huddleston recorded back-to-back kills to give King the set 25-18.
- The third set was even at 6-6 before Barton scored four straight points to gain the lead.
- Following a pair of Tornado points, the Bulldogs scored nine of the next 10 points to open up a 19-10 lead as they went on to take the frame 25-17.
- The Bulldogs jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the fourth set, but King worked their way back with a 9-2 run, taking a 9-6 advantage following a 4-0 spurt. Beckner started the 4-0 run with a kill and Cathy Scaniffe followed with a pair of kills.
- However, Barton came back and used a 4-0 run to gain a 13-11 lead.
- King responded later by using a 4-0 run to take a 19-17 lead and force a Bulldog timeout. On the spurt, Pigage posted a pair of aces on the run.
- Out of the timeout, Barton outscored the Tornado 8-2, taking the set 25-21 and the match 3-1.
- Beckner paced the offense with 15 kills against just one error on 27 attempts for a hitting percentage of .519.
- Huddleston followed with 14 kills and 20 digs for the double-double.
- Roe and Scaniffe also added double-doubles with Roe accounting for 46 assists and 12 digs. Scaniffe added 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Serowski matched Huddleston for a match-high 20 digs to go along with a team-high four aces.
FOR THE FOES
- Mariana Kedzia led Barton with 22 kills and added 11 digs.
- Hayley Marshburn followed with 13 kills, nine digs and six blocks.
- Riley Bane paced the defense with 19 digs while Angelica Acevedo added 16 digs and Laura Peed chipped in with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Scaniffe set a career-high with 11 digs and posted her second double-double of the year.
- Huddleston now has 10 double-doubles on the season while Roe leads the Tornado with 13 double-doubles.
- Beckner hits over .500 for the second time in as many matches as she hit .562 with 10 kills on Tuesday against UVa-Wise.
- King stays on the road to face the University of Mount Olive on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Barton hosts Lees-McRae on Saturday afternoon.