BRISTOL, Tenn. – Playing their final home regular season home match, the King University women's volleyball team took a 3-0 victory over UVa-Wise on throwback night. The Tornado were led by senior Ashton Beckner who hit a blistering .562 in the match.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, UVa-Wise 0 (25-17, 25-19, 25-21)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-12; UVa-Wise 6-21
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UVa-Wise got off to a good start and held the lead for the early part of the first set.
- Becca Huddleston eventually evened the score at 12-12 in the first set with one of her four kills in the frame.
- King then scored four straight points, capped by a block from Remi Thele and Beckner to take a 16-13 advantage.
- Another 4-0 Tornado run stretched the King lead to 22-15 and forced a timeout. Jenna Sturgeon gave King a chance at set point with a kill and the Tornado scored the next point to take the set 25-17.
- The Cavaliers started the second set on a roll as well, jumping out to an 8-1 advantage.
- However, King scored seven of the next eight points as Thele and Beckner teamed up for another block to pull the Tornado within 9-8.
- King later grabbed a 16-15 lead and later used a 4-0 run to gain separation and take a 20-16 lead following a Cathy Scaniffe kill.
- The Tornado then scored five of the final seven points, the last on a Haley Roe kill, giving the Tornado the 25-19 victory.
- King started the third set with the advantage behind a pair of Roe aces and later gained separation following a 3-0 run to take a 15-12 lead.
- Another 3-0 run capped by a block from Emma Carico and Sturgeon gave King a 22-16 lead and Scaniffe later ended the 25-21 third set victory win a kill, giving King the 3-0 win.
- Beckner and Scaniffe led King with 10 kills apiece. Beckner hit .562, only making one error on 16 attempts.
- Huddleston added nine kills and Sturgeon chipped in with seven.
- Roe posted another double-double, handing out 35 assists and adding 10 digs.
- Amy Serowski also added 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Amanda Auxier led UVa-Wise with nine kills and Karley Allen added seven.
- Morgan Milligan handed out 16 assists and Erin Lee had a match-high 12 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Roe marks her team-leading 12th of the year.
- For Beckner, the .562 attack percentage is her highest of the season.
- King takes to the road to face Barton College on Friday night. First serve from Wilson, N.C. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise travels to take on #5 Wheeling Jesuit University on Friday night.