MISENHEIMER, N.C. – The King University women's volleyball team split a pair of matches at Pfeiffer University on Saturday, taking the Conference Carolinas affair against the Falcons 3-0. The Tornado then fell to Georgia College 3-2 in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Pfeiffer 0 (25-8, 25-19, 25-16); Georgia College 3, King 2 (25-21, 23-25, 7-25, 25-11, 15-7)
LOCATION: Merner Gym; Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 9-12, 9-3 Conference Carolinas; Pfeiffer 0-18, 0-11 Conference Carolinas; Georgia College 11-7
HOW IT HAPPENED – PFEIFFER
- The Tornado set the tone in the first set, using a 15-0 run with Cathy Scaniffe on the servie to turn a 5-5 tie into a 20-5 advantage.
- Scaniffe served up a pair of aces, Huddleston posted five kills and Ashton Beckner added four kills on the run.
- Haley Roe served up an ace to give King the set 25-8.
- King used a 4-0 run to pull back within one in the second set, Huddleston posted a pair of kills and an ace and Victoria Gause added a kill on the spurt.
- The Tornado trailed 18-15 before Beckner got the offense back on track with a kill. That kill ignited a 10-1 Tornado run to close the set out. Beckner added a kill and gave Kin the 25-19 victory with an ace.
- In the third set, King used an early 8-1 run to take an 11-5 lead. Jenna Sturgeon capped the run with her only kill of the match.
- King again closed the set on a run as well, scoring seven of the final eight points to take the set 25-16.
- Huddleston led King with 12 kills and hit .579 in the match.
- Beckner added seven kills and Amy Serowski led the defense with nine digs.
- Abby Anderson handed out a team-high 20 assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Erin Errington led Pfeiffer with six kills.
- Katie Wilson handed out seven assists and Talor Hewitt posted six digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GEORGIA COLLEGE
- Georgia College jumped out to an early 10-4 lead in the first set, but the Tornado answered with a 9-3 run to even the tally at 13. Remi Thele recorded a pair of kills and Serowski served up an ace on the run.
- The set was again even at 21 before the Bobcats scored four straight points to take the set 25-21.
- Sydney Pigage gave King a 15-11 lead with an ace in the second set, but the Bobcats answered with a 5-1 run to even the score at 16-16.
- Thele then gave the lead back to King with a kill as that started a 3-0 spurt.
- The set was later even at 22 before Beckner and Tristyn Lozano teamed up for a block and Beckner gave King a chance a set point with a kill.
- Following a Bobcat point, Huddleston gave King the 25-23 victory with a kill.
- The Tornado opened the third set on a roll, scoring the first 11 points of the set behind the serve of Beckner. Huddleston registered four kills on the run.
- King cruised from there and scored the final four points, the last two on Pigage aces to take the set 25-7.
- Georgia College responded in the fourth set, jumping out to a 4-0 advantage. The Bobcats later scored six straight points to open up a 13-5 lead.
- King couldn't make a run as Georgia College took the set 25-11 to force a fifth and decisive set.
- The Bobcats didn't waste any time, scoring the first four points of the set to gain separation.
- Following a Tornado point, Georgia College again scored four straight point and went on to take the set 15-7 and the match 3-2.
- Huddleston led King with 19 kills and added 10 digs for the double-double.
- Roe also posted a double-double, accounting for 40 assists and 16 digs.
- Sturgeon added nine kills and Beckner chipped in with eight.
- Serowski led the defense with 17 digs and Rebekah Hill was the fourth Tornado in double figures with 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Caroline Long led a balanced attack with 11 kills. Taylor Svehla added eight kills while Ashley Savransky and Miller Howard had six kills each.
- Kayla Brockway posted 26 assists and nine digs.
- Chandler Ewaldsen posted a match-high 19 digs and Ebon Powers added 12 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Huddleston was her ninth of the season.
- Roe posted her 11th double-double of the season and she has had a double-double in nine of her last 11 matches.
- King hosts UVa-Wise on Tuesday in their final home regular season match of the year. Tuesday is also throwback night in the Student Center Complex. First serve is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
- Pfeiffer travels to Lees-McRae College on Tuesday and Georgia College travels to Flagler College on Monday.