BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team played their final home regular season Conference Carolinas match of the year against Mount Olive University on Saturday afternoon. On senior day, the lone King senior, Ashton Beckner had eight kills and Cathy Scaniffe had 14 kills. The Tornado won in three sets to win their seventh conference game of the year.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-14, 25-12, 25-22)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 7-11, 7-3 Conference Carolinas; Mount Olive 10-10, 5-6 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado were trailing very early in the first set 2-1, then five straight points extended the lead to 6-2.
- Consistency throughout the first set gave the King the first set win 25-14.
- Senior Beckner led the Tornado in the first set, having four kills including the set decider when Haley Roe set the ball up for Beckner for the finish. Amy Serowski had nine digs in the first set as well.
- King stayed hot right into the second set by winning the first six points. Scaniffe right out of the gates had two kills in those first six points.
- The Tornado went on another run when the score was 10-3. They scored five straight points to extend the lead to 15-3.
- King really put it into high gear coming down the stretch in the second set, scoring seven straight points to win the set 25-12. Beckner and Scaniffe had a block each to win the final point of the set.
- After having three kills in the first set, Scaniffe doubled that in the second with having six, for a total of nine kills after two sets. Becca Huddleston led the Tornado in digs with five in the second set.
- The third set was a lot closer when King was down 8-4, then they when on a 4-0 run to tie the score at 8-8. Huddleston had two attacks in the run.
- The Tornado never trailed again after it was tied 10-10, but Mount Olive kept it close. They even tied the score very late in the third set 22-22.
- King then went on to win the next three points to take the set 25-22 and the match 3-0. Scaniffe had a key kill to break the tie as well as an ace.
- In the third set, Roe led King with six digs and Huddleston was close behind with five. Scaniffe again led the Tornado with five kills, totaling 14 for the match.
- Beckner was second in kills behind Scaniffe with eight. Beckner led the Tornado with four serving aces.
- Serowski and Huddleston tied with 14 digs for the match, Roe finished with 13.
- Roe posted a double-double with 31 assists and 13 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Mackenzie Call led Mount Olive with nine kills and added eight digs as well.
- Kamber Skeen led the Trojans with a double-double, posting 18 digs and 25 assists.
- Karley Pounds had five kills and was second on the team with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Roe marks her ninth of the year and seventh in the last eight matches.
- King continues Conference Carolinas play on Friday when they play at Belmont Abbey. First serve from Belmont, N.C. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Mount Olive next play's on Tuesday when they go on the road to face Fayetteville State.