BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team returned home to face Barton College in a key Conference Carolinas North Division matchup. The match lived up to the billing, going the distance as the Tornado battled back to force fifth set. The Bulldogs escaped the Student Center Complex with the 3-2 victory as the scored the final three points to take the fifth set 15-13.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 3, King 2 (25-22, 19-25, 25-23, 18-25, 15-13)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-11, 6-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 11-7, 8-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 10-8 in the first set, Barton used an 8-2 run to take a 16-12 lead before Jenna Sturgeon and Cathy Scaniffe registered consecutive kills for the Tornado.
- King later tried to make a comeback scoring three straight points to cut their deficit to 23-22 and force a Barton timeout. However, the Bulldogs score the final two points to take the set 25-22.
- The Tornado opened the second set determined to even the set, scoring four of the first five points, the final on a Sturgeon block.
- Amy Serowski later served up an ace to give King a 7-2 advantage in the early going.
- Barton used a 5-2 run to pull within 12-11, but Scaniffe answered with a kill to extend the King lead.
- The Tornado held their lead there before closing the set on a 6-2 run that was started by a pair of Scaniffe kills. Following a kill from Haley Roe, Scaniffe gave King the 25-19 victory with one of her five kills in the set.
- King jumped out to a 10-4 lead in the third set following a kill from Roe and ace from Scaniffe.
- However, Barton scored four straight points to force a timeout with King lead 12-10.
- King looked to regain the upper hand, scoring three straight points, started by a kill from Remi Thele to open up a 15-10 lead.
- Nevertheless, Barton rolled off six straight points, turning a 16-11 deficit into a 17-16 lead and forcing a King timeout.
- Back-to-back kills from Scaniffe and Becca Huddleston evened the set at 19, and Roe later gave King a 22-21 lead with an ace.
- However, Barton scored three straight points and following a Thele kill took the set 25-23.
- Roe started the fourth set with consecutive ace and Huddleston gave King an early 4-1 lead with another ace.
- King looked to gain separation with a 4-0 run to open up a 16-11 advantage.
- The Tornado held their lead there and scored the final three points, starting on a kill from Huddleston. Scaniffe ended the 25-18 victory with back-to-back kills.
- King had the upper hand early in the fifth set, opening up a 6-3 lead following a Scaniffe kills.
- The Bulldogs answered, however, scoring five of the next six points to take an 8-7 lead.
- The Tornado came right back as Huddleston sparked a 4-1 run with back-to-back kills and Roe gave King an 11-9 lead with another ace.
- However, Barton scored consecutive points to even the set at 11-11.
- Scaniffe gave King a 13-12 lead before the Bulldogs closed the set with three straight points, taking the set 15-13 and the match 3-2.
- Scaniffe led King with 23 kills and hit .321.
- Huddleston and Roe both posted double-doubles, Huddleston with 11 kills and 24 digs and Roe with 53 assists and 12 digs. Roe added five aces for the Tornado.
- Sturgeon and Thele both chipped in with eight kills.
- Serowski posted 23 digs and Sydney Pigage also reached double figures with 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Maiana Kedzia led Barton with 18 and 10 digs.
- Hayley Mashburn posted 13 kills and Kaitly Micol added 10 kills.
- Angelica Acevedo led the Bulldogs with 44 assists and added 13 digs.
- Riley Bane posted a team-high 16 digs and Laura Peed chipped in with 13 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 24 digs for Huddleston marks a career-high, topping her previous best of 21.
- Roe also set a career-high with 53 assists. Her previous high was 52 which she reached twice this year.
- The double-double for Roe is her eight of the year and sixth in the last seven matches.
- Huddleston isn't far behind Roe as she has posted seven double-doubles on the season.
- King returns to the court on Saturday when they host the University of Mount Olive. Saturday is also Senior Day for the Tornado. First serve from the Student Center Complex is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Barton travels to take on Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon.