ATHENS, W.Va. – The King University women's volleyball team continued their road trip, taking on Concord University in a nonconference tilt on Tuesday evening. The Mountain Lions earned the 3-1 behind a solid offensive performance.
FINAL SCORE: Concord 3, King 1 (25-17, 25-14, 23-25, 25-14)
LOCATION: Carter Center; Athens, W.Va.
RECORDS: King 6-10; Concord 10-9
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Concord offense got rolling early, giving the Mountain Lions an early 7-3 advantage.
- King fought back and got within in 8-7 following a pair of kills from Victoria Gause and Tristyn Lozano.
- King again trailed by one at 12-11, but the Mountain Lions answered with a 5-0 run to take a 17-11 advantage.
- The Tornado couldn't get any closer the rest of the Way as Concord took the set 25-17.
- Concord started just as fast in the second set, scoring the first four points and opening up a 14-5 lead before King went on a run.
- Cathy Scaniffe started a Tornado spurt with a pair of kills and Ashton Beckner followed with another.
- A solo block from Beckner pulled King within 14-10 and forced a Concord timeout.
- Following a Mountain Lion point, Scaniffe and Abby Anderson posted consecutive kills, pulling King within 15-12.
- However, that was as close as the Tornado would get as Concord closed the set on a 10-2 run taking the frame 25-14.
- The third set was tight the entire way as Concord held the largest lead of the set of four points at 13-9.
- However, King answered with a 5-2 run to even the set at 14 on a block from Scaniffe and Beckner.
- Trailing 20-18, Anderson started a 4-0 run for the Tornado with a kill. Rebekah Hill added an ace and Gause gave King a 22-20 lead with another kill.
- Scaniffe gave King a chance at set point with a kill and Beckner gave King the 25-23 victory with one of her 10 kills on the night.
- In the fourth set, the Concord offense broke a 10-10 tie with a 5-0 run to force a King timeout. In all, the Mountain Lions broke the set open with the 8-1 run.
- Concord later scored six of the final seven points to take the set 25-14 and the match 3-1.
- Scaniffe led King with 17 kills while Beckner and Lozano added 10 kills apiece.
- Haley Roe posted another double-double, going for 40 assists and 12 digs.
- Amy Serowski anchored the defense, posting a match-high 18 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Ellie Lawrence led Concord with 12 kills while Brooke Heck added 11 kills.
- Casey Mandeville dished out 28 assists while Jenna Mounts added 17 helpers.
- Erin Shannon led the defense with 17 digs and Alexi Pranckus chipped in with 15 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Roe marks her seventh of the season and her fifth in the last six matches.
- King returns home to face Barton College in a Conference Carolinas North Division tilt on Friday night. First serve from the Student Center Complex is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Concord next travels to Notre Dame College on Friday evening.