BRISTOL, Tenn. – In a rematch of a thrilling five set match two weeks ago, the King University women's volleyball team traveled to take on Lees-McRae College. This time, the Bobcats came out with a narrow 3-1 victory, taking the final set 32-30 as three of the four sets went to extra points.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 3, King 1 (26-24, 26-28, 25-22, 32-30)
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium, Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-9, 6-2 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 6-10, 3-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King jumped out to an early 6-1 lead behind the serve of Becca Huddleston who served up a pair of aces on the spurt. The 6-0 run was started by a Jenna Sturgeon kill.
- However, Lees-McRae scored seven of the next nine points to even the score at 8-8.
- The set was tight the rest of the way, and Cathy Scaniffe gave King a 21-18 lead with one of her six kills in the first set, forcing a Bobcat timeout.
- Sturgeon later gave King a chance at set point, but Lees-McRae answered with three straight points to take the set 26-24.
- Lees-McRae used that momentum to open up a 14-9 lead in the second set and they later led 16-11 before King started to come back.
- Scaniffe recorded three straight kills, pulling King within two and forcing a Bobcat timeout.
- Following a Lees-McRae point, King scored three straight points, the final one on a kill from Haley Roe to even the score at 18-18.
- The teams then traded points with Lees-McRae having a chance at set point, but Sturgeon came up with a kill to even the score at 24-24.
- Huddleston and Tristyn Lozano then followed with kills to fend off two more Bobcat set points before Scaniffe gave King the 28-26 victory with back-to-back kills.
- Lees-McRae scored six of the first eight points of the third set and opened up a 17-11 advantage before King tried to make another comeback.
- The Tornado then went on a 6-1 run to pull within 18-17. Consecutive aces by Scaniffe later evened the score at 21-21.
- However, the Bobcats then scored three straight points and took the set 25-22.
- The fourth set was the tightest of the match as King used a 5-0 run late in the set to turn a 16-14 deficit into a 19-16 lead. Huddleston had an ace on the spurt and Scaniffe capped the run with back-to-back kills.
- However, Lees-McRae scored three straight points to even the tally.
- The Bobcats had a chance at match point at 24-23, but back-to-back kills from Roe and Lozano gave King a chance to take the set, but the Bobcats answered with back-to-back points to take a 27-26 lead.
- The teams then traded side outs and Ashton Beckner evened the score at 30-30 with a kill.
- At that point, Lees-McRae got back-to-back kills to take the set 32-30 and the match 3-1.
- Scaniffe led King with 25 kills and hit .308 in the match, making five errors on 65 attempts.
- Roe posted a double-double, handing out 41 assists and adding 13 digs.
- Huddleston posted a double-double as well, accounting for 11 kills and 15 digs.
- Amy Serowski led the defense with 21 digs while Sydney Pigage added 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Avalon Liscio posted a team-high 20 kills and hit .395 to lead Lees-McRae.
- Logan Slusher added 12 kills and Haylee Leonard chipped in with nine.
- Darian Parsons posted a double-double with 23 assists and 12 digs while Courtney Weathersbee handed out 29 assists to go along with nine digs.
- Madison Martin accounted for a match-high 30 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- For Scaniffe, the 25 kills sets a career-high, better her previous high of 23 set earlier this season.
- The double-double of Roe gives her six on the season and she has had a double-double in four the last five matches.
- For Huddleston, the double-double marks her sixth of the season.
- Serowski's 21 digs marks the second time this season she has eclipsed the 20-dig plateau.
- King is in action again on Tuesday when the travel to Concord University. First serve from Athens, W.Va. is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae hosts the University of Mount Olive on Friday.