BRISTOL, Tenn. – For the first time this season, the King University women's volleyball team dropped a Conference Carolinas match, falling to Southern Wesleyan University. King took the first set, but the Warriors came back, winning the next three sets for the 3-1 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Southern Wesleyan 3, King 1 (20-25, 25-21, 25-18, 25-14)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 5-7, 5-1 Conference Carolinas; Southern Wesleyan 6-7, 4-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Warriors tried to set the tone early, jumping out to an early 6-2 lead.
- Southern Wesleyan held the lead until King scored back-to-back points, the final one on a block from Ashton Beckner and Cathy Scaniffe to give King a 13-12 lead.
- The Warriors bounced back and held an 18-15 lead when Tornado coach Morris Cephas called what was a very timely timeout.
- Becca Huddleston registered consecutive kills out of the break to spark a 5-0 run. Following a Warrior point, King scored four straight points. Jenna Sturgeon had a pair of kills on the run and Huddleston served up a pair of aces.
- Remi Thele gave King the 25-20 win, capping the 10-2 run to close the set with her lone kill of the opening set.
- King kept the momentum rolling to start the second set as Beckner ignited a 6-0 run with a kill. Sydney Pigage followed with a three aces and Scaniffe added a kill before Beckner capped the spurt with another kill.
- However, the Warriors came back and eventually evened the tally at 13-13, starting a 6-2 run.
- From there, the Tornado couldn't get closer than three points as the Warriors took the set 25-21.
- The Southern Wesleyan offense kept clicking in the third set, using a 6-0 run to take a 17-11 lead.
- King made a run late, but it wasn't enough as the Warriors took the set 25-18.
- Leading 14-11 in the fourth set, Southern Wesleyan used a 3-0 run to take a 17-11 lead and force a King timeout.
- However, the Warriors continued to extend their lead and eventually take the 25-14 victory to take the match 3-1.
- Haley Roe posted her second straight double-double going for 44 assists and 18 digs.
- Huddleston also recorded a double-double with 12 kills and 11 digs.
- Beckner led the Tornado offense with 14 kills.
- Amy Serowski posted 15 digs and Pigage chipped in with 11.
FOR THE FOES
- Paige O'Connor and Katie Anderson led Southern Wesleyan with 15 kills apiece while Sarah Hughey added 10 kills.
- Milicia Stamenic recorded a team-high 16 digs and Anna Hughey added 11 digs.
- Annika Jones posted a double-double with 42 assists and 14 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Roe set a career-high with 18 digs and Beckner posted a career-high with 14 kills.
- Pigage matched her career-best with 11 digs.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host North Greenville University. First serve is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- Southern Wesleyan next travels to Converse College on Tuesday.