BRISTOL, Tenn. – Not even 24 hours following a thrilling five set victory, the King University women's volleyball returned to the court in the Student Center Complex to face another Conference Carolinas opponent. The Tornado took the first two sets from Converse College behind a stellar offensive attack, but the Valkyries came back to take the third set. The King offense got back on track in the fourth set, taking the match 3-1.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Converse 1 (25-12, 25-13, 23-25, 25-7)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 3-6, 3-0 Conference Carolinas; Converse 1-7, 0-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado used a balanced attack to take the first set 25-12 as King only made one attack error and hit .444 in the set.
- King had at least two kills from five different players in the first set, including three from each Ashton Beckner and Remi Thele.
- An 8-0 Tornado run stretched a two point lead into a 15-6 advantage. Cathy Scaiffe capped the run with three straight service aces.
- Jenna Sturgeon gave King a chance at set point with a kill, and a Converse attack error gave King the first set.
- The Valkyries took an early lead in the second set, but King responded with a 6-1 run sparked by a pair of Scaniffe kills.
- The Tornado later pulled away with a 6-0 run and scored the final three points of the frame, taking the set 25-13.
- The teams went back-and-forth in the early going of the third set before the Valkyries went on a 6-1 run to take a 19-12 advantage.
- However, King answered with an 8-0 run to take a 20-19 lead. Beckner accounted for a pair of kills on the run and Scaniffe capped the spurt with a pair of service aces.
- Beckner later capped a 3-0 spurt that put King ahead 23-22 with an ace, but the Valkyries answered with three straight points to take the set 25-23.
- Scaniffe started the fourth set with consecutive kills, and Thele and Beckner followed with kills of their own.
- Converse then cut the deficit to 4-3 before Thele got the offense going with another kill, igniting a 6-0 run.
- The Tornado broke the set open with a 10-0 run, gaining a 20-4 advantage. Huddleston posted four kills on the run for the Tornado as King took the set 25-7 and the match 3-1.
- Scaniffe led the King offense with 12 kills to go along with six aces, four digs and three blocks.
- Huddleston posted a double-double, accounting for 10 kills and 13 digs.
- Beckner also reached double figures in kills, posting 10 kills on 22 attempts with just one error for an attack percentage of .409.
- Amy Serowski led the Tornado defense with 16 digs while Beckner added four blocks at the net.
- Haley Roe posted a match-high 22 assists and added four digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Kassie Burkett led the Converse offense with 11 kills to go along with eight digs.
- Maggie Macdonald posted a team-high 14 digs and Leslie Gonzalez added 13 digs.
- Deanna Unger handed out 15 assists for the Valkyries.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With the win, King has won their first three Conference Carolinas matches for the first time since 2013 when the Tornado started the league season 9-0.
- The double-double for Huddleston marks her third of the year and third in the last four matches.
- King remains at home to play Conference Carolinas foe Pfeiffer University on Wednesday night. First serve from the Student Center Complex is slated for 7:00 p.m.
- Converse next travels to take on Bob Jones University on Tuesday.