SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The King University women's tennis team returned to Conference Carolinas play to face Converse College on the road. The Tornado fell behind 2-1 after doubles and couldn't come back in singles as the Valkyries took the dual 6-3.
FINAL SCORE: Converse 6, King 3
LOCATION: Converse Tennis Complex; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 1-7, 0-4 Conference Carolinas; Converse 5-9, 1-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado No. 1 doubles team of Katya Cerny and Marianne Hull took an 8-5 victory over Alex Schlesener and Steffi Kong to get King on the board.
- King nearly grabbed the lead as Haley Maloney and Catherine Vezey fell to Kaitlin Knight and Taylor Parrott 8-7 (7-5).
- In singles play, Vezey took a 6-4, 6-3 win over Schlesener at the second flight and Maloney earned a three set win over Morgan Trask at the fifth flight.
- Maloney won the first set 6-3 before falling 6-2 in the second set. However, she came back to take the third set 10-8.
- However, that was the only wins King would get in singles as the Valkyries took the dual 6-3.
- King returns home to face North Greenville University at 1:00 p.m. on Friday and Southern Wesleyan University at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Converse hosts Barton College and the University of Mount Olive on Friday and Saturday.