SUMTER, S.C. – The King University women's tennis team opened the season with and individual tournament, the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational where Haley Maloney and Alyssa Salazar led the way. The duo took the title in doubles C Draw to lead the Tornado at the event.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maloney and Salazar won all three of their doubles matches on the weekend, starting with an 8-3 win over Graysen Elms and Hartley Smith of North Greenville University.
- They followed it with another 8-3 victory, defeating Belmont Abbey College's Emily Heim and Hannah Davis in the semifinals.
- In Sunday's finals, the duo earned a hard fought victory for the title, defeating Rachel Berkey and Morgan Keefe of Erskine College 8-7.
- Maloney also played well in singles, reaching the semifinals of the E Draw. She won her first two matches, topping Claire Violand of Limestone College 6-2, 7-5 and Whitney Hamilton of Barton College 6-2, 6-2. However, she fell to tournament champion Morgan Zahnd of Belmont Abbey 6-0, 6-0.
- Salazar also reached the semifinals in singles play, participating in the D Draw. She defeated Lees-McRae College's Rebecca Pierce 6-2, 6-1 before topping Sofia Moreno of Belmont Abbey 7-5, 6-3. She then fell to tournament runner-up, Dana Kelly of Barton College 6-1, 6-0 in the semifinals.
- Ashley Salazar reached the quarterfinals of the D Draw by defeating Maria Gamboa of the University of Mount Olive 6-2, 6-1. However, she fell to eventual champion Lorraine Chon-Qui of Barton 6-1, 6-1 in the quarterfinals.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The title for Maloney and Alyssa Salazar marks the second in King history at the Palmetto Tennis Center Invitational. Maria Hosomi and Naomi Reyes won the doubles C Draw in 2013.
- King is in action again on Saturday when they host Tusculum College in their first dual of the season. First serve is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. The Tornado then host Emory & Henry College on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.