BRISTOL, Va. – The King University women's swimming team hosted Mars Hill University and Emory & Henry College on Friday night. The Tornado fell to Mars Hill 130-58 and to Emory & Henry 105-68.
KING RESULTS: Mars Hill 130, King 58; Emory & Henry 105, King 68
LOCATION: Virginia High School; Bristol, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The meet started off with a third place finish for the 200 yard medley relay team of Jess Vargo, Haley Carpenter, Nicola Mead, and Madison Wisley.
- Following this event, Macarena Martin Mayor recorded a second place finish in the 1000 yard freestyle with her time of 11:49.02.
- In the 200 yard freestyle, Vargo placed third with her time of 2:07.58. The 50 yard freestyle would follow this race and Vargo's teammate Wisely would take first place in the event with her time of 26.14. Carpenter would also race in this event and record a time of 30.15 for the Tornado.
- In the 200 yard individual medley, Martin Mayor would take second again with her time of 2:22.78. She would also finish in third in the 200 yard breaststroke with her time of 2:38.61.
- Wisely would finish on top of the leaderboard again when she raced in the 100 yard free. Here she finished with a time of 57.61 to take second place.
- Nicola Mead got into the action when she took first place in the 200 yard fly with her time of 2:12.71. Mead would also take fourth place in the 500 yard freestyle as she posted a time of 6:01.98.
- In the 200 yard backstroke, Vargo finished second with a time of 2:23.08.
- The 400 yard freestyle relay team of Vargo, Wisely, Martin Mayor, and Mead would round out the day for the team as they finished in third in the days final event.
QUOTE FROM THE COACH
- "Today we celebrated three seniors and one graduating Junior with some fantastic efforts during the hardest training of the season," head coach James Graves said. "I'm very proud of this team that is really starting to come together. Special thanks to the King faculty and Alumni that came out tonight to support the Swim team. To see the President and his wife come out tonight to cheer us on was awesome. Go Tornado!"
- The Tornado are in action again on January 26 when they travel to take on Carson-Newman University. The meet is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m.