SEWANEE, Tenn. – The King University women's swimming team competed in the Sewanee Invitational over the weekend. The Tornado finished in fifth place.
KING RESULTS: 5th of 7
LOCATION: Sewanee, Tenn.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado started the invitational with the 100 yard medley relay team of Koai Martin, Haley Carpenter, Macarena Martin Mayor, and Madison Wisley posting a time of 59.86.
- Jess Vargo competed in five events for the Tornado this weekend and recorded some great times. Her best finish came in the 200 yard individual medley where she finished in second place with a time of 2:19.95.
- Wisley posted a third place finish in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 25.89. She also posted a time of 57.58 in the 100 yard freestyle and 32.49 in the 50 yard backstroke.
- Carpenter posted a time of 36.87 in the 50 yard breaststroke, 30.78 in the 50 yard freestyle, and 1:19.10 in the 100 yard breaststroke for the Tornado.
- The 100 yard freestyle relay team of Wisley, Martin, Carpenter, and Vargo posted a time of 53.20 for King.
- Martin Mayor competed in five events for the Tornado and posted top-five finishes in four out of those five events. She took second place in the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:35.28. She also raced in the 1650 yard freestyle where she posted a time of 19:11.70 to finish in fourth place.
- Martin competed in the 50 yard breaststroke where she posted a time of 42.90 and the 50 yard freestyle where she finished with a time of 32.44.
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Martin, Carpenter, Vargo, and Wisley posted a time of 2:12.55 in the event.
QUOTES FROM THE COACH
- "I was pleased with our competitiveness throughout the meet, with most of the swimmers posting times faster than where they were last year at this point," said Head Coach James Graves. "Macarena Martin stepped up and swam a great mile. Koai Martin fought through injury and helped our relays score some valuable points."
- King will be back in action on November 17 when they travel to Charlotte, North Carolina to swim in the Fall Frenzy Invitational.