MARS HILL, N.C. – The King University women's swimming team faced Mars Hill University and Lindsey Wilson College on Friday night. The Tornado swam well, but fell to both Mars Hill and Lindsey Wilson.
KING RESULTS: Mars Hill 172, King 71; Lindsey Wilson 139, King 80
LOCATION: Mars Hill, N.C.
RECORD: King 4-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Jess Vargo, Macarena Martin Mayor, Nicola Mead and Madison Wisley started the event with a time of 1:55.88.
- In the 1000 yard freestyle, Martin Mayor was the first to touch the wall, coming in with a time of 11:36.31. She also came in with a first place time of 1:14.13 in the 100 yard breaststroke.
- Mead followed with a 200 yard freestyle time of 2:05.98, and a 100 yard butterfly time of 59.60 seconds. In the 50 yard butterfly, Mead finished second with a time of 27.55 seconds.
- Haley Carpenter finished the 50 yard backstroke in 36.50 seconds and clocked a time of 36.46 seconds in the 50 yard breaststroke. In the 100 yard breaststroke, Carpenter finished in 1:20.08.
- Wisley was the first to touch the wall in the 50 yard freestyle, coming in with a time of 25.93 seconds. She also finished the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 58.34 seconds.
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Vargo touched the wall first with her time of 1:04.93. She also finished the 100 yard individual medley in a time of 1:05.73.
QUOTES FROM THE COACH
- "I was pleased with our effort tonight," James Graves said. "We are in early season training, swimming and lifting hard and the swimmers are a bit tired, so to come out and win some races and swim some personal best times is a good sign. Macarena Martin had a great swim in the 1000, coming from behind and racing hard. Madison Wisley is starting to put her sprint events together and starting see some success as well.
- King will be in action again on Saturday at Virginia High School when they face Milligan College and Columbia College at 2:00 p.m.
- Mars Hill returns to action on Friday when they travel to take on Lenoir-Rhyne University.