BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's swimming team had their last tune-up for the Appalachian Swimming Conference Championships on Saturday when they traveled to Union College (Ky.). The Tornado set four school records, but Union came away with the 112-104 victory.
FINAL SCORE: Union 112, King 104
LOCATION: Barbourville, Ky.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started with a school record in the 200 yard medley relay as the quartet of Samantha Vargo, Jess Vargo, Nicola Mead and Nicole Maldonado finished in a time of 1:53.20, lowering the record by nearly one full second.
- The 100 yard breaststroke record was surpassed by both Jess Vargo and Macarena Martin Mayor. Vargo finished in 1:10.94, but Martin Mayor came in first at 1:10.45 to own the record.
- Maldonado lowered her own school record in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 24.16 seconds.
- In the 100 yard butterfly, Mead lowered the school record by more than on second, finishing in 58.21 seconds.
- Mead set a personal record in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:59.75, her first time under two minutes.
- In the 100 yard backstroke, Samantha Vargo lowered her personal record to 1:03.52.
- Along with the two under the school record in the 100 yard breaststroke, Haley Carpenter set a personal record with a time of 1:16.25.
- Jess Vargo and Carpenter both posted a personal best 200 yard breaststroke times, Vargo at 2:31.41 and Carpenter finished in 2:47.11.
- King next competes at the AAC Championships on February 8-11 in Christiansburg, Va.