MARS HILL, N.C. – The opening meet for the King University women's swimming team might have been a memorable one Nicola Mead as she set the school record in the 100 yard butterfly. She won a pair of races to lead the Tornado, but King fell to Mars Hill University 143.5-105.5.
FINAL SCORE: Mars Hill 143.5, King 105.5
LOCATION: Mars Hill, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the 100 yard butterfly, Mead finished first with a time of 59.31 seconds, bettering the previous school record of 59.84 seconds.
- Mead also won the 50 yard butterfly with a time of 27.49 seconds while Samantha Vargo finished third at 28.96 seconds.
- Nicole Maldonado also won a pair of events for the Tornado on the day, starting with the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 25.21 seconds. She later posted a 100 yard freestyle time of 57.30 seconds to win that event as well.
- In the 100 yard individual medley, Maldonado finished second with a time of 1:09.31.
- Jess Vargo turned in a second place finish in the 50 yard breaststroke, posting a time of 34.89 seconds.
- In the same event Macarena Martin Mayor came in third with a time of 36.04 seconds and Haley Carpenter was next at 37.64 seconds.
- Samantha Vargo also finished third in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 1:07.27.
- The relay team of Carpenter, Mead, Annie Ly and Koai Martin finished second in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:57.14.
- The 200 yard medley relay team of Samantha Vargo, Jess Vargo, Mead and Maldonado finished second with a time of 1:56.13.
- King will be in action again on October 14 when they travel to take on Milligan College at 4:00 p.m.