BANNER ELK, N.C. – In the final week of the regular season, the King University women's soccer team had a chance to improve their seeding for the upcoming Conference Carolinas Championship when they took the pitch at Lees-McRae College. The first half was played even, but the Bobcats tallied four second half goals to take the contest 4-0.
FINAL SCORE: Lees-McRae 4, King 0
LOCATION: Tate Field; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 6-10, 4-6 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 6-10, 6-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lees-McRae had the first scoring chance of the game in the opening minute, but Nicole Dagher came up with a save for the Tornado.
- The Tornado answered with a shot that sailed wide and a corner kick in the ninth minute.
- King threatened to score late in the first half, placing three shots on goal, the first from Miranda Smith in the 26th minute.
- Smith ripped another shot that was turned away in the 41st minute and Kendyl Baird ripped shot that was saved in the 43rd minute.
- The Bobcats had the final chance in the waning seconds, but Dagher came up with her third save of the frame.
- Lees-McRae tried to turn the field in the second half, pressuring the Tornado defense with a corner kick and a pair of shots before breaking through.
- Timber Powell scored the game's first goal in the 59th minute off of a corner kick that was taken by Lena Langille.
- Lees-McRae broke through again in the 69th minute when Kennedy Masse beat the keeper to the lower right corner of the net.
- In the 72nd minute, Langille chipped a shot over the keeper to make it 3-0 and Cheyenne Warrick made it a 4-0 Bobcat victory with a goal in the 76th minute.
- King took 15 shots in the contest, placing four on goal.
- Baird and Smith had two shots on goal each and Dagher made six saves.
FOR THE FOES
- The Bobcats took 16 shots, 12 in the second half and placed 10 shots on frame.
- Alexis Feely made four saves for Lees-McRae.
- King closes the regular season on Saturday at Parks Field when they host Barton College on Senior Day. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 p.m.
- Lees-McRae closes the regular season on Saturday at home against Emmanuel College.