INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – For the first time in five years, the King University men's wrestling team had more than one wrestler qualify for the NCAA Division II Men's Wrestling Championships. Both Dustin Kirk and Bryce Killian finished runner-up at their respective weight classes at the NCAA Super Region II Championships.
KING RESULTS: 10th of 14 (36.0 points)
LOCATION: Nicoson Hall, Indianapolis, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kirk, who is ranked fifth at 133 pounds, started his day with a 4-2 decision over ninth-ranked Jordan Simpson of Newberry College to clinch a spot in the NCAA National Championships.
- He then took on top-ranked Michael Labry of Ashland University in the championships and dropped a tight 3-2 decision.
- For the second straight year, Killian has qualified for the NCAA National Championships, he clinched a spot when he defeated fourth-ranked Trey Grine of Tiffin University on a 2-1 decision.
- In the finals he fell to No. 2 Nick Crum of the University of Indianapolis on a 7-2 decision.
- Killian improved on his third place finish at the NCAA Super Region II Championships last year with a runner-up finish this year.
FOR THE FOES
- The University of Indianapolis finished first in the regional with 103.5 points, edging out Ashland University's 102.5 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Killian becomes the first Tornado to qualify for two NCAA Division II Men's Wrestling National Championships, joining current assistant coach Frank Morgan and Brandon Tressler.
- The duo of Morgan and Tressler both qualified in both 2010-11 and 2011-12.
- This marks the first time since 2011-12 King has had more than one Tornado qualify for the NCAA Division II Men's Wrestling Championships. That year, King had four wrestlers qualify and to earn All-American honors, Morgan who took fifth and Tywan Claxton who took seventh.
- Kirk and Killian will be in action again on March 10-11 at the NCAA Division II Men's Wrestling Championships in Birmingham, Ala.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – No. 5 Dustin Kirk 2-1, 2nd
141 – Bryce Killian 2-1, 2nd
149 – Ethyn Ewing 1-2
157 – Landon Reed 1-2
165 – Cory Collins 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 0-2
184 – Elijah Seay 1-2
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 0-2