INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The King University men's wrestling team opened the NCAA Super Region II Championships on Friday and the Tornado had three wrestlers advance to Saturday. Dustin Kirk and Bryce Killian are both in the semifinals while Landon Reed will try to work his way through the consolation bracket.
KING RESULTS: 9th of 14 (22.0 points)
LOCATION: Nicoson Hall, Indianapolis, Ind.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kirk won his only bout of the day defeating Joe Kieffer of the University of Indianapolis 8-3 to reach the semifinals at 133 pounds.
- Killian, an NCAA Championships qualifier a season ago defeated Josh Wimer of the University of Findlay on a 10-1 major decision to reach the 141-pound semifinals.
- At 157 pounds, Reed fell to Samphanh Viengmany of Tiffin University 15-11. However he came back with a 2:46 pin of Coker College's Jacob Haydock to stay alive in the consolation bracket.
- Reed Jacks, Ethyn Ewing and Elijah Seay all won matches, but they also dropped a pair of matches to end their seasons.
FOR THE FOES
- Ashland University leads the team standings with 53.5 points and the University of Indianapolis is in second place at 51.0.
- Lake Erie College isn't far behind in third place with 50.5 points.
- The Tornado trio will be in action again on Saturday, and the top four finishers at each weight will advance to the NCAA Men's Wrestling Championships.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – No. 5 Dustin Kirk 1-0
141 – Bryce Killian 1-0
149 – Ethyn Ewing 1-2
157 – Landon Reed 1-1
165 – Cory Collins 0-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 0-2
184 – Elijah Seay 1-2
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 0-2