BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's wrestling team returned to the Student Center Complex in a big way on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado showed their dominance early and throughout their 44-6 victory over Coker College.
FINAL SCORE: King 44, Coker 6
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 4-3, 2-1 ECAC; Coker 3-4, 0-3 ECAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Reed Jacks got King off to a good start with a 3-1 decision over Frank Velez at 125 pounds. Jacks earned a takedown in the second period and an escape in the third to take the victory.
- Jacob Wynn followed with an impressive performance against Dylan Barrett at 133 pounds. He earned a takedown and followed it with four near falls to take the 18-0 technical fall victory.
- Fifth-ranked Dustin Kirk came away with a 7-3 decision over Matthew Kieta with a pair of takedowns in the first and third periods.
- At 149 pounds, Ethyn Ewing gave King their first of three pins in the match, pinning Bret Shurina. Following a Shurina takedown, Ewing evened the score with a reversal and earned the pin in 1:26.
- Cory Collins followed with a 10-1 major decision over Walker Barfield at 157 pounds. Leading 2-0 after the first period, Collins earned an escape and two takedowns in the second period and another takedown in the third for the win.
- Landon Reed had a big first period against Jamez Taylor at 165 pounds, with a takedown and three near falls. He then earned an escape early in the second period for the 15-0 technical fall.
- At 174 pounds, Joey Mammolenti pinned Jamal Lackey in 2:25, giving King a 32-0 lead over the Cobras.
- Elijah Seay had a good first period, building up an 8-2 lead over Jordon Garlow at 184 pounds. Following a takedown in the second period, Seay earned the pin in 3:39.
- Eldon Valery, Jr. earned a win by forfeit at 197 pounds, the Cobras took a win by forfeit at 285 pounds, giving King the 44-6 victory.
- Both King and Coker are in action again next Friday and Saturday at the Super Region II Duals hosted by Newberry College.
KING (4-3, 2-1 ECAC) 44, COKER (3-4, 0-3 ECAC) 6
125 – Reed Jacks (KING) dec. Frank Velez (CC), 3-1 (KING 3-0)
133 – Jacob Wynn (KING) tech. fall Dylan Barrett (CC), 18-0 (KING 8-0)
141 – No. 5 Dustin Kirk (KING) dec. Matthew Kieta (CC), 7-3 (KING 11-0)
149 – Ethyn Ewing (KING) pinned Bret Shurina (CC), 1:26 (KING 17-0)
157 – Cory Collins (KING) maj. dec. Walker Barfield (CC), 10-1 (KING 21-0)
165 – Landon Reed (KING) tech. fall Jamez Taylor (CC), 15-0 (KING 26-0)
174 – Joey Mammolenti (KING) pinned Jamal Lackey (CC), 2:25 (KING 32-0)
184 – Elijah Seay (KING) pinned Jordon Garlow (CC), 3:39 (KING 38-0)
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. (KING) wins by forfeit (KING 44-0)
285 – Nathan Troutvine (CC) wins by forfeit (KING 44-6)