INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The duo of Dustin Kirk and Joey Mammonlenti advanced to the second day of the highly competitive 38th Annual Midwest Classic. Kirk reached the finals and finished second while Mammolenti took eight. The Tornado finished 24th of 38 teams at the event that featured 15 teams ranked in the top 25.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kirk's faced fifth ranked Naquan Hardy of McKendree University in the semifinals at 133 pounds, and the match went to overtime. Kirk took the 4-2 sudden victory to advance to the finals.
- However, Kirk faced top-ranked Michael Labry of Ashland University. In what was a tight match, Labry took the bout 3-2, giving Kirk the second place finish.
- At 174 pounds, Mammolenti started his day in the quarterfinals of the consolation bracket against ninth-ranked Bradley Metz of the University of Findlay. Metz came away with the victory, sending Mammolenti to the seventh place bout.
- In the seventh place bout, Mammolenti fell to Limestone College's Jimmy Sandlin, giving Mammolenti and eighth place finish.
- King returns home on January 5 to take on Emmanuel College in an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) dual that starts at 7:00 p.m.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 1-2
133 – #11 Dustin Kirk 4-1, 2nd
141 – Tyler Williams 1-2
149 – Ethyn Ewing 1-2
157 – Cory Collins 1-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti 3-2, 8th
184 – Elijah Seay 0-2
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 0-2
285 – Cody Davis 0-2