BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University men's wrestling team turned in a solid performance, having six individuals take home titles at the King Open on Sunday. Eldon Valery, Jr. led the way for the Tornado, going 4-0 at 197 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Valery earned three wins by fall on the day, starting with a pin in 52 seconds over Luke Stelter of East Tennessee State University (ETSU). He then took a 6-0 decision over Marco Mason of Coker College before pinning Robert Shotner in 50 seconds. Valery closed the day with a pin of Matt Carroll of Cumberlands in 2:26, taking first place.
- At 174 pounds, Joey Mammolenti started his day with a 16-0 technical fall over Nick Hall of Newberry College and followed it with a 19-0 technical fall over ETSU's Tyler Yokley. He closed the day with a 7-2 victory over Jamal Lackey of Coker, to take first.
- Reed Jacks took first at 125 pounds winning all three of his matches. He started with a 19-3 technical fall over Dylan Coggins before defeating Coker's Frank Velez 8-3. Jacks took the title with a 16-1 technical fall over Dawson Maddox of ETSU.
- At 141 pounds, King had the top two finishers. Dustin Kirk earned an 8-2 victory over John Smith of Coker to reach the finals where he faced teammate Jacob Wynn. Kirk took the title with a 14-1 major decision.
- Wynn won his first two matches, defeated Brannon King on a 16-0 technical fall before pinning Dylan Barrett of Coker in 2:41 to reach the final.
- Ethyn Ewing took home the title at 149 pounds, defeating Coker's Bret Shurina 6-1 in the final. In the semifinals, Ewing took a 14-2 major decision over Jamez Taylor of Coker.
- At 157 pounds, Cory Collins won all three of his matches, starting with an 18-3 technical fall over Kyle Ocker of Coker. He followed with a pin of Chance Lamberth in 1:33 before taking first with an 18-5 major decision over Jordon Tague of Coker.
- Following a loss in his first match, Hunter Moore rolled off three straight wins to take second at 285 pounds. He fell to champion Nathan Troutvine of Coker 8-3 before taking a 2-0 victory over Christian Varner of Cumberlands. Moore followed that with a 5-0 decision over Jeremy Wilson of Coker and capped his day with a 6-2 victory over Virgil English.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 3-0, 1st
141 – Tyler Williams 1-3, 4th
149 – Ethyn Ewing 2-0, 1st
157 – Cory Collins 3-0, 1st
165 – Darius Rutland 0-2, 2nd
174 – Joey Mammolenti 3-0, 1st
184 – Elijah Seay 1-1, 2nd
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 4-0, 1st
285 – Hunter Moore 3-1, 2nd
- King competes in their first dual on Wednesday when they travel to Belmont Abbey College for and Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) matchup. The dual is scheduled to start at 1:00 p.m.