ST. LOUIS, Mo. – The King University men's wrestling team had six wrestlers place at the Kaufman/Brand Open on Saturday. Joey Mammolenti led the way for the Tornado, taking second at 174 pounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mammolenti finished second at 174 pounds at the amateur division. He won two straight matches to reach the semifinals, in which Mammolenti won by decision 5-1 to reach the finals. He fell to Dalton Tipton of Missouri Valley College in the championship match.
- Reed Jacks finished fourth in the 125 pound elite division. He defeated Gage Datlovsky of Southern Illinois University in the consolation semifinals by decision 20-17 before falling to the eventual champion Jake Silzer in the 3rd place match.
- Dustin Kirk finished fifth at the 133 pound elite division. He lost his first match, but battled back and beat Naquan Hardy of McKendree University in the consolation bracket 5th place match.
- Bryce Killian, ranked eighth in the country, defeated Dylan Thurston of Illinois in the Quarterfinals 3-1 by sudden victory. Competing at the elite division at 141 pounds, inury cut Killian's tournament short, but he managed a sixth place finish.
- A 149 pounds, Ethyn Ewing took home a fifth place finish as he advanced to the semifinals with a pin of Labette Community College's Gabriel McDuffie in 2:26. However, he fell to the eventual champion on a 13-6 decision before taking fifth.
- Eldon Valery, Jr. competing in the elite level at 197 pounds had an early loss but salvaged a sixth place finish by beating Osbaldo Blanco of Missouri Baptist Church.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
125 – Reed Jacks 2-2, 4th
174 – Joey Mammolenti 3-1, 2nd
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 1-2, 6th