BLACKSBURG, Va. – The King University men's wrestling team opened their season at the highly competitive Southeast Open hosted by Virginia Tech University. The day was highlighted by top eight finishes from Ethyn Ewing, Darius Rutland, Elijah Seay and Joey Mammolenti.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mammolenti led the way, finishing sixth in the freshman/sophomore division at 174 pounds. Following a loss in his first bout, he rolled off four straight wins to reach the fifth place bout. In the match to reach the fifth place bout, Mammolenti pinned Sam Rowell of the University of Maryland in 40 seconds.
- Rutland finished in the top eight of at 165 pounds in the freshman/sophomore division with a record of 3-2. He registered three straight wins before falling one bout short of the fifth place match. Rutland defeated Sam Williams of Army 7-5 before his tournament came to an end.
- In their first collegiate action, Ewing and Seay turned in solid performances for the Tornado. Ewing went 4-2 at 149 pounds and Seay posted a 3-2 mark at 184 pounds, both in the freshman/sophomore division.
- Ewing won his first match by a 9-1 major decision over Chris Matzke of Edinboro University. Following a narrow loss he won three straight matches before falling a match short of the fifth place bout.
- Seay won his first two bouts to reach the quarterfinals before falling to Jaron Smith of the University of Maryland. He defeated Austin Crocker of Newberry College 10-3 in his first bout before topping Jake O'Brien of Finger Lakes Prep on an 8-0 major decision.
- Seay then defeated Chris Beck of Virginia Military Institute 5-2 before falling to Ryan Patchin of Notre Dame College 6-4 on a sudden victory.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
141 – Tyler Williams 0-2
165 – Darius Rutland 3-2
174 – Joey Mammolenti – 4-2, 6th
197 – Eldon Valery, Jr. 1-2
285 – Cody Davis 0-2