HARDEESVILLE, S.C. – The King University women's golf team posted their best round in program history to open the Hilton Head Lakes Invitational on Monday. The Tornado shot 297, their first round under 300 in program history and are in third place going into the second round.
KING RESULTS: 3rd of 17 (297)
LOCATION: Hilton Head Lakes; Hardeesville, S.C.
COURSE DETAILS: par 72; 5800 yards
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King was led by a trio that are tied for ninth after shooting two-over 74. Daphne Chang, Emilie Olstad and Nicola Robertson all shot 74 in the opening round.
- Fiona Hebbel and Samantha Taylor weren't far behind, each carding 75 in the first round.
FOR THE FOES
- The University of West Georgia and Wingate University share the lead after shooting 292 in the opening round.
- King is in third at 297 and Anderson University comes in fourth at 302.
- Individually, Cristina Casanella of Wingate shot two-under 70 to lead the tournament by one stroke over three golfers from West Georgia and one from the University of Mount Olive.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The previous low round for the Tornado came a season ago when they shot 300 twice. The first time was at the Hilton Head Lakes Invitational and the other time came at the Conference Carolinas Championship.
- The tournament concludes with the second and final round on Tuesday.