BANNER ELK, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team traveled to Lees-McRae College Saturday night to take on the Bobcats in their regular season finale. The Tornado win a close one in Banner Elk defeating Lees-McRae 64-57.
FINAL SCORE: King 64, Lees-McRae 57
LOCATION: Williams Gymnasium; Banner Elk, N.C.
RECORDS: King 15-12, 12-8 Conference Carolinas; Lees-McRae 10-16, 7-13
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keyanna Blakely opened the game with a two-point basket for the Tornado to take the early 2-0 lead.
- A Kristin Cupples three point basket gave King a 9-6 advantage midway through the first quarter.
- With 10 seconds remaining in the quarter, Allison Littleton nailed a three point bucket to give the Tornado a 17-14.
- Cupples started the second quarter with a three point basket for the Tornado to take a 20-14 lead.
- An Ali Golden layup with 5:54 remaining in the half gave King a 24-18 lead. However, the Bobcats used a 10-4 run to tie up the game 28-28.
- Amy Van Deventer finished a layup with 34 seconds remaining in the half to give King a 31-28 lead heading into the second half.
- The Bobcats opened the second half on a 5-0 run, however, Arnelle Collins dropped in a three point bucket to give King a 34-33 lead.
- Che' Davis dumped in a three point jumper to tie the game up 39-39 with 4:41 remaining in the third quarter.
- Davis' basket kicked off a 12-1 run for the Tornado as they took a 48-40 lead after three quarters.
- The Tornado started the fourth quarter off with a bucket from Kori West to give King their first double digit lead of the game.
- However, the Bobcats used a 9-0 run to cut the Tornado lead to 54-49 with 5:07 remaining in the contest.
- King clung to a 60-57with 55 seconds remaining in the game. However, Cupples nailed another triple with 31 seconds left.
- King hung on to defeat the Bobcats 64-57 in the regular season finale.
- Cupples led the Tornado offense with 19 points including five three point baskets.
- West posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds in 22 minutes.
- Van Deventer posted six points and 12 rebounds for the Tornado.
FOR THE FOES
- Brea Forbes leads the way for Lees-McRae with 15 points and eight rebounds.
- Meg Crawford records 11 points and nine rebounds for the Bobcats.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King lands the fourth seed in the Conference Carolinas tournament and will host the University of Mount Olive Monday, February 26 at 7:00 pm in the Student Center Complex.
- With double-double tonight, West now has 11 double-doubles on the season.
- King hosts the University of Mount Olive in the Conference Carolinas tournament quarterfinals Monday night at 7:00 pm.
- Lees-McRae travels to Barton College Monday, February 26.