BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team hosted Barton College Friday night in a Conference Carolinas matchup. Behind a career night from Kori West, the Tornado snapped the Bulldog's 11-game winning streak with a 68-60 victory over the visitors.
FINAL SCORE: King 68, Barton 60
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 10-9, 7-5 Conference Carolinas; Barton 14-6, 9-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The contest started off with a Kristen Cupples three point basket merely three seconds into the game to get the ball rolling for the Tornado.
- A West bucket from Che' Davis with 8:20 left in the quarter upped the Tornado lead to 7-2.
- Another West basket with 2:33 remaining in the first quarter capped off a 7-0 run for King.
- At the end of the first quarter, the Tornado posted a 20-14 lead over the Bulldogs. They shot 56.3 percent from the field.
- King could not get much to fall early in the second quarter, but maintained a 24-16 lead with 4:16 remaining until the half.
- The Bulldogs closed the quarter on an 8-2 run and cut the Tornado lead to 28-26 at the half.
- The second half started with Barton getting a few baskets, however, an Ali Golden three point bucket broke a tied ball game and extended King's lead to 35-32.
- The Bulldogs proceeded to go on an 11-2 run to end the third quarter and take a 43-40 lead over the Tornado.
- Cupples opened the final quarter with a three point basket on an assists from Golden to tie up the game 43-43.
- The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth affair as neither team could extend their lead past more than five points. However, behind a dominant fourth quarter performance from West, the Tornado would find themselves leading 60-55 with 2:11 remaining in the game.
- Golden dropped in a basket with 1:39 remaining to give King a seven point lead. Behind free throws from Golden, West, and Arnelle Collins, the Tornado would close out the Bulldogs and take a 68-60 victory. The win snapped Barton's 11-game winning streak and extended King's to five games.
- West posted a huge night with 28 points and 20 rebounds on 11-13 shooting from the field for the Tornado.
- Golden recorded 14 points and five assists while Cupples finished with 10 points and four rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Dinah Neal led the Bulldogs with 16 points while Kianna Wynn chipped in 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Tatyana Jackson posted ten points for the visitors.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- West posted career-highs in both points and rebounds with her performance. She recorded 28 points and 20 rebounds for the Tornado.
- West has posted three straight games with at least 20 points and has also recorded a double-double in four of her last five outings.
- King hosts Mount Olive Saturday afternoon in a Conference Carolinas matchup at 2:00 pm.
- Barton travels to Lees-McRae Saturday.