WILSON, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team returned to the floor on Saturday following an overtime defeat on Friday night. The Tornado stayed close with Barton College in the first quarter, but the Bulldogs pulled away in the middle two quarters to take the contest 71-51.
FINAL SCORE: Barton 71, King 51
LOCATION: Wilson Gymnasium; Wilson, N.C.
RECORDS: King 5-9, 2-5 Conference Carolinas; Barton 9-5, 4-2 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled in the opening quarter as Barton held a 9-6 advantage following the first 10 minutes.
- Keyanna Blakely scored the final bucket of the frame, cutting the Tornado deficit to three points.
- Barton extended their lead to 10, but three straight buckets from Megan Addison, Taylor Freeman and Arielle Holloway pulled King back within 20-16.
- However, the Bulldogs answered with seven straight points and later closed the quarter on an 8-0 spurt to take a 37-23 lead at halftime.
- Che' Davis started a 6-0 run for the Tornado in the third quarter, and Freeman capped the spurt, cutting the King deficit to 39-31.
- However, Barton pulled away with a 7-0 run and held a 58-38 advantage after three quarters.
- The Tornado tried to get the offense going in the fourth quarter, scoring six straight points to cut the Bulldog lead to 66-51 following a Freeman layup.
- However, the Bulldogs finished the 71-51 victory with a 5-0 run.
- Freeman led King with 12 points while Madison Davis and Kristen Cupples chipped in with seven points apiece.
- Cupples grabbed four rebounds and Davis snared three boards.
FOR THE FOES
- Alex Kimble led the way for Barton with 23 points and four assists.
- Karimah Dean added 11 points and nine rebounds while Kianna Wynn scored 10 points to go along with seven rebounds.
- Shanika Peterkin grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
- King returns home to the friendly confines of the Student Center Complex to host rival Lees-McRae College on Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m.
- Barton hosts the University of Mount Olive on Wednesday night.