BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team hosted Newberry College Saturday afternoon in a nonconference matchup. The Tornado used a huge third quarter and multiple career-high efforts to take down the Wolves 71-61.
FINAL SCORE: King 71, Newberry 61
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 2-2, Newberry 3-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a slow start in this one as they opened the game shooting 17.6 percent from the field in the first quarter including 0-4 from the three point line.
- Newberry used a 9-0 run to close the first quarter and take a 15-8 lead over the Tornado.
- However, King turned their poor shooting around in the second quarter as they heated up to shoot 44.4 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from beyond the arc in the second quarter.
- Kristen Cupples led the charge offensively as she racked up seven of her 15 points during the quarter. Che' Davis was dominate on the boards throughout and recorded four of her 13 rebounds during the second.
- At the half, the score was tied 27-27 after a strong effort by the Tornado to get back into the game.
- The third quarter was a huge turning point in the game as King outscored Newberry 25-14.
- Out of halftime, Ali Golden found Amy Van Deventer on back-to-back possessions that led to layups to get the Tornado offense rolling.
- A minute later, Golden started filling it up herself with a two-point bucket followed by a three-point basket on the next offensive possession.
- King would then use a 12-2 run to close the quarter and extend their lead to 52-41.
- During the run, Cupples put up six points for the Tornado. The run ended with Taylor Freeman finding Golden for a three point basket as time expired.
- The third quarter was a huge turning point for King as they outscored Newberry 25-14 in the quarter.
- The Tornado used an all-around scoring effort in the fourth quarter as five different players found the bottom of the net.
- Free throws at the end of the game by Cupples, Golden, and Arnelle Collins clinched the victory for the Tornado as they defeated the Wolves 71-61.
- Golden led King with 18 points and four assists.
- Van Deventer posted her second double-double of the season as she recorded 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Cupples posted 15 points, 4 rebounds and Davis chipped in four points, 13 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Nicola Handreck led the way for the Wolves with 20 points, seven assists, seven rebounds, and five steals.
- Shelby Britten recorded 15 points and Meg Essex chipped in nine points, 13 rebounds for Newberry.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Golden recorded two career-highs as she posted 18 points and four assists for the Tornado.
- Davis tallied a career-high 13 rebounds for King.
- Van Deventer posted a season-high 11 points in route to her second double-double of the year.
- Freeman recorded a career-high seven rebounds and three assists for the Tornado.
- King hosts #24 Lincoln Memorial University on Tuesday night for a 6:00 pm start in a nonconference matchup.
- Newberry hosts Lenior-Rhyne College on Tuesday.