GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team opened the season with a victory behind double-doubles from a pair of veterans. Kristen Cupples and Amy Van Deventer each posted double-doubles, leading the Tornado to the 67-53 victory over Mars Hill University.
FINAL SCORE: King University 67, Mars Hill University 53
LOCATION: Pioneer Arena; Greeneville, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 1-0; Mars Hill 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mars Hill held the upper hand through the first part of the opening quarter, but the Tornado closed on a run.
- Arielle Holloway sparked a 9-2 run with a three-point basket to put the Tornado ahead.
- Van Deventer made a pair of free throws in the final minute, giving King a 17-12 lead going into the second quarter.
- The Tornado scored the first eight points of the second quarter, opening up a 25-12 advantage before the Lions got back on the board with a free throw.
- The King defense held Mars Hill to 2-for-15 shooting from the floor in the second quarter, with both field goals coming in the final two minutes. In all, King held King without a field goal for nine minutes and nine seconds.
- Taylor Freeman nailed a three-point basket to start a 7-0 spurt that was capped by a Freeman layup.
- The King lead grew to 21 points twice in the final minutes as Amy Van Deventer gave King a 36-17 lead at halftime.
- Mars Hill started the second half with a surge, cutting their deficit to 45-31 midway through the third stanza, but the Tornado responded.
- Freeman made a layup and Ali Golden sunk a pair of free throws to stretch the lead back to 18 points.
- Van Deventer again capped the quarter with a jump shot, giving King a 51-34 lead going to the fourth quarter.
- Arnelle Collins and Cupples started the fourth quarter with back-to-back triples, stretching the Tornado lead to 57-34.
- The Tornado held their lead there the rest of the way, taking the contest 67-53.
- Cupples and Van Deventer led the Tornado, each posting double-doubles.
- Cupples led King with 16 points to go along with 11 rebounds while Van Deventer scored 10 points and added 14 rebounds.
- Freeman added 13 points and Collins chipped in with 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
- Sheena Johnson and Tiffany Holloway led Mars Hill with 12 points and eight rebounds apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cupples set a career-high with 11 rebounds, posting her first career double-double.
- For Van Deventer, the double-double is the ninth of her career.
- King takes on Tusculum College at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday in Greenville, Tenn.
- Mars Hill faces Converse College on Saturday afternoon.