BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball got off to a slow start on Saturday afternoon at Converse College, but the Tornado came storming back in the middle two quarters. When the dust settled, King took the Conference Carolinas game 68-49 for their second 20-win season in the last three years.
FINAL SCORE: King 68, Converse 49
LOCATION: Hannah Gym; Spartanburg, S.C.
RECORDS: King 20-6, 17-3 Conference Carolinas; Barton 4-20, 3-17 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Converse grabbed a 10-2 lead midway through the first quarter following an 8-0 run.
- Jalan Harper ended the spurt with a layup for the Tornado, but the Valkyries led 12-4 after one period.
- The King defense dug in during the second quarter, only allowing three Converse points in the stanza.
- That defense fueled the Tornado offense that closed the quarter on a 12-0 run, taking a 22-15 lead at the break.
- Sydney Harris evened the tally at 15 with a triple and Sheena Johnson made a layup to cap the first half scoring, giving King the 22-15 lead.
- The run continued at the beginning of the third quarter as King scored the first four points to open up a 26-15 advantage.
- Harper drilled a triple and Madison Davis made a bucket, giving king a 31-17 lead three minutes into the third quarter.
- Four free throws from Johnson and Davis stretched the King lead 39-21.
- Amy Van Deventer made a jump shot with 56 seconds remaining in the quarter, giving King a 48-28 lead going to the final stanza.
- Converse cut their deficit to 16 points twice in the final quarter, but King answered with buckets from Johnson and Van Deventer, stretching the lead back to 63-43.
- Davis gave King their largest lead of the game at 68-45 as the Tornado took the contest 68-49.
- Johnson led King with 17 points, going 6-for-6 from the free throw line.
- Van Deventer posted a double-double, accounting for 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Harper chipped in with 13 points and five rebounds.
- Whitney Mitchell handed out a game-high eight assists.
FOR THE FOES
- Hannah Anderson and Paige Johnson led Converse with 12 points apiece.
- Brianna James added 10 points and eight rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The win for King marks their 20th victory of the season, the second 20-win season in the last three. The Tornado went 20-9 in 2014-15.
- The last time King won more than 20 games in a season was in 2007-08 when they went 21-12.
- It also marks the fifth time since 2001-02 the Tornado have won 20 contests.
- The double-double for Van Deventer is her first of the season and eight of her career.
- Mitchell set a career-high with eight assists, topping her previous best of six which was set five times.
- King travels to take on the University of Mount Olive on Tuesday night. The Tornado are tied with Mount Olive for second in the Conference Carolinas standings and King defeated the Trojans 74-61 at home last Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Converse hosts Pfeiffer University on Tuesday.