MISENHEIMER, N.C. – The King University women's basketball team squared off against Pfeiffer University in a Conference Carolinas match-up. A dynamic offense won every quarter in route to a 77-47 victory. Whitney Mitchell led the offense with 20 points and Kori West had nine with seven rebounds.
FINAL SCORE: King 77 Pfeiffer 43
LOCATION: Merner Gym, Misenheimer, N.C.
RECORDS: King 14-5, 11-2 Conference Carolinas; Pfeiffer 6-11, 4-9 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After an early tie with 4:46 left in the first quarter, King went on a 6-0 run to take the lead 14-8. Sheena Johnson had four free throws in the run.
- Back to back layups by Mitchell and Sydney Harris had King leading 20-13 heading into the second quarter.
- Pfeiffer made a three-pointer to close the gap 22-19 with 5:51 left to go in the half.
- King then went on to make a 14-0 run shortly after to extend the lead to 35-21.
- Ashley Albertson made a jump shot to make the score 37-23 heading into halftime.
- Coming out of the half, the Tornado quickly went on a 7-0 run to further extend the lead 44-23.
- King kept their 21 point lead heading into the fourth quarter, leading 56-35.
- West had King's first seven points in the fourth quarter, making the score 63-38 with 6:23 remaining in the game.
- Kristen Cupples also had added five points in the quarter, including a triple.
- The Tornado biggest lead of the game was by 30 points, which came at the end of the game, King winning 77-47.
- Mitchell's 20 points and West's nine paced the offense for the Tornado.
- West also had a team high seven rebounds, Sydney Harris added six.
- King was an excellent 15-17 from the line for an 88.2 free throw percentage and shot 45.2 percent from the field.
FOR THE FOES
- Meg Pritchard led Pfeiffer with 13 points and Bethany Sarson added nine.
- Two Falcon's players had seven rebounds, Lauren Janka and Meg Pritchard
- King stays on the road to play Belmont Abbey College on Saturday. Tip-off from Belmont, N.C. is scheduled for 2:00 pm.
- Pfeiffer University next plays Saturday to take on Lees-McRae at home.