BRISTOL, Tenn. – Following a record performance on Friday night, the King University women's basketball team showed a balanced attack in another Conference Carolinas victory on Saturday afternoon. The Tornado pulled away from Pfeiffer University in the second quarter, eventually taking the contest 81-46.
FINAL SCORE: King 81, Pfeiffer 46
LOCTION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 9-4, 6-1 Conference Carolinas; Pfeiffer 4-6, 2-4 Conference Carolinas
HOW HIT HAPPENED
- Trailing 6-2 early, Arnelle Collins and Ashley Albertson started an 11-0 King run with a layup and three-point basket, respectively.
- Kristen Cupples ended the spurt with a basket midway through the first stanza.
- Sydney Harris then gave King a 15-8 lead before the Falcons closed the first half on a 6-0 run, giving King a 15-14 lead after the first quarter.
- However, the Tornado answered with an 8-1 run to open the second quarter, started by a Harris trifecta.
- Whitney Mitchell followed with another three-point basket and Albertson put King ahead 23-15 three minutes into the quarter.
- The Tornado later scored eight straight points, capped by a Madison Davis three-point basket, stretching the King advantage to 34-20.
- Davis later score the final bucket of the stanza, giving the Tornado a 37-25 lead at halftime.
- Pfeiffer scored the first basket of the third quarter, but King answered with a 12-0, started by a Sheena Johnson jump shot. Davis ended the run with a basket to put King ahead 49-28.
- King finished the quarter on a 7-0 run, capped by a Harris triple at the buzzer that extended the Tornado lead to 63-37.
- The Tornado held the lead there in the fourth quarter as Danielle Luczak gave King their largest lead of the game at 81-44 with a layup as King took the contest 81-46.
- Johnson, Harris and Amy Van Deventer all led King with 11 points apiece.
- Van Deventer grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
- Mitchell added eight points, Albertson chipped in with seven points and six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Dajea Scott led Pfeiffer with 13 points while Lauren Janka followed with 10 points and six rebounds.
- King travels to take on Barton College on Wednesday. Tipoff from Wilson, N.C. is slated for 5:30 p.m.
- Pfeiffer travels to North Greenville University on Tuesday night.