GAFFNEY, S.C. – The King University women's basketball team got off to a solid start at Conference Carolinas perennial power Limestone College. However, the Saints answered with a 26-0 run to take control of the contest en route to the 79-53 victory, handing King their first conference defeat of the season.
FINAL SCORE: Limestone 79, King 53
LOCATION: Timkin Center; Gaffney, S.C.
RECORDS: King 7-4, 4-1 Conference Carolinas; Limestone 8-3, 4-1 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King got off to a solid start, holding the advantage in the early going as Arnelle Collins gave King a 7-4 lead with a triple and Ashley Albertson put King ahead 10-6 with a layup with 6:23 remaining in the first quarter.
- However, that was the final bucket the King offense would score until Albertson posted a bucket with 1:55 remaining in the second quarter.
- Albertson added a pair of free throws, giving King a 12-8 lead before the Saints went on a run.
- Limestone closed the first quarter on a 12-0 run to take a 20-12 advantage.
- The Saints then opened the second quarter by scoring the first 14 points to make it a 26-0 run, giving Limestone a 34-12 lead.
- Demisha Porter ended the spurt with a pair of free throws with 4:12 left in the quarter, scoring King's first points since the 4:25 mark of the first quarter.
- Albertson made a layup before the Saints scored the final bucket of the half, taking a 40-16 lead at the break.
- The Saints didn't slow down, scoring the first five points of the second half before Whitney Mitchell hit a jump shot and Jalan Harper knocked down a triple for the Tornado.
- Limestone then used a 12-2 run, including nine straight to take their largest lead of the game at 57-23 midway through the third stanza.
- Emily Kiser connected from long range to end the third quarter, but Limestone held a 67-34 lead heading to the final quarter.
- Kiser then opened the fourth stanza with a triple and Collins followed with a trifecta for the 9-0 Tornado run and cutting the King deficit to 67-43.
- Limestone held their lead there the rest of the way, taking the contest 79-53 to hand the Tornado their first Conference Carolinas defeat of the season.
- Kiser led King with 11 points, going 3-for-6 from three-point range.
- Albertson and Porter followed with nine points apiece while Albertson led the team with five rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
- Keidra Smith led Limestone with 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Jasmine Kearse followed with 15 points and four assists.
- King returns home to face Belmont Abbey College on Friday night. Tipoff from the Student Center Complex is slated for 5:30 p.m. The Tornado then host Pfeiffer University at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.
- Limestone travels to the University of Mount Olive on Friday night and Barton College on Saturday.