BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's basketball team squared off with nonconference foe UVa-Wise and took a hard fought victory from the Cavaliers. King gained separation in the third quarter, outscoring UVa-Wise by four points, eventually taking the contest 60-56.
FINAL SCORE: King 60, UVa-Wise 56
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 6-2; UVa-Wise 6-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Points were tough to come by in the early going, but the Cavaliers opened up a 9-5 lead with two minutes remaining in the first quarter.
- King worked their way back and Emily Kiser made a layup with 24 seconds remaining, cutting the King deficit to 10-8 after the first quarter.
- The pace picked up a bit in the second quarter, with King scoring the first four points of the frame to take a 12-10 lead.
- The score was even at 18-18 midway through the stanza when UVa-Wise scored four straight points to gain an advantage and they later held a 26-20 lead with 49 seconds remaining.
- However, Kiser struck twice from long range in the final 37 seconds, the final one coming with three seconds left on the clock, making the halftime score 26-26.
- The Tornado continued their run to open the third quarter as Whitney Mitchell got a steal and layup that was followed by an Ashley Albertson layup, giving King a 30-26 following the 10-0 run.
- However, the Cavaliers answered with nine straight points, opening up a 35-32 lead before Jalan Harper made a fastbreak layup off of an Albertson steal.
- The score was tied for the 10th and final time at 35-35, and the Cavaliers later held a 37-36 lead before King went on another run.
- The Tornado scored seven straight points, started by back-to-back triples from Kiser and Arnelle Colling, taking a 43-37 lead.
- The Cavaliers scored the final two points of the quarter, but King held a 43-39 advantage going to the fourth quarter.
- In the final stanza, King gained their largest lead of the game, 51-42 following a Madison Davis free throw that capped a 5-0 Tornado spurt.
- The Cavaliers made a comeback, pulling within 58-56 with 29 seconds remaining, but Albertson iced the 60-56 win with a pair of free throws with 11 seconds remaining.
- Albertson led the Tornado with 15 points to go along with eight rebounds.
- Kiser added 15 points for the Tornado while Harper snared a team-high 13 rebounds to go along with seven points.
FOR THE FOES
- Taylor Sandidge led UVa-Wise with 17 points to go along with four rebounds.
- Allison Ball added nine points and six rebounds while Makenzie Cluesman grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 13 rebounds for Harper mark a career-high, topping her previous best by one. Harper grabbed 12 rebounds on January 16, 2014 at Limestone College.
- King jumps back into Conference Carolinas play on Saturday when they travel to take on Southern Wesleyan University. Tipoff from Central, S.C. is slated for 2:00 p.m.
- UVa-Wise takes on the University of Puerto Rico on December 17 and the University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon on December 18.